Chimp & See Talk

Species Cheat Sheet – Aged Violet

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

There is only a limited number of species at each research site. So this is a cheat sheet for Aged Violet – a rainforest habitat in West Africa. I will add more species soon and while we discover them.

Primates

Apes: Chimpanzees and humans #human, no gorillas.

Other primates: Sooty mangabey are seen very often and with their light face might be confused with chimps. Mangabeys have a tail, gray fur, and are much smaller than chimps.

Two small night-active primates might be seen: galagos (aka bushbaby) #galago and pottos #potto.

enter image description here

Red duikers

Important is here the black dorsal stripe. For bay duikers, it’s longer - starting at the upper neck and reaching the tail.

Other duikers

These duikers have unique fur patterns and are easily to recognize. Jentink’s duikers and yellow-backed duikers are big; black and zebra duikers are medium sized. Everything else are small grey duikers #small_grey_duiker. Small grey duikers can additionally be recognized because of their vertically flapping tail.

Hogs

Giant forest hogs have some sparse dark fur. Red river hogs are reddish with a blonde dorsal stripe and have those floppy ear tips.

Other (non-primate)

The category “other (non-primate)” is for all species that do not fit anywhere else. You would also classify e.g. jackals and bats here.

Rodents

Among the rodents, porcupines have their own category. They are bigger and rounder than rats and have a brushed tail that give them their name. Rats have a long thin tail. Squirrels are seen during the day and easily recognizable.

What else?

There are many iconic species with their own category - like leopards, elephants, hippos, and pangolins. African golden cats are classified as "small cat". Water chevrotains - as tiny as they are - are classified as "large ungulate". You might also see different birds and reptiles, here not shown.

Hopefully a bit helpful!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Great job @AnLand, thanks! I think it's very useful for beginners and sometimes surely also for "residents" 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Love this, primates especially. Thanks @AnLand

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Brilliant! A great help. Thanks @AnLand.

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Wonderful Anja - very helpful. Thanks!

Posted

• MDrass by MDrass

Bookmarked! I'll be looking at this daily. Thank you AnLand.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Thanks for the positive feedback! I'm very happy that it's useful 😃. Please let me know when I should specify or add anything that is / might be hard for classification and hashtagging.

We also have some great and pretty detailed guides for primates, duikers, hoofed animals, and pangolins. For the cheat sheet, I wanted to keep it very basic.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thanks so much @anland this is fantastic!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Sweet, thanks @AnLand

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

That's great. Will save a lot of back and forth Thanks!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

@AnLand I think you should make a sticky post with this thread so we can find it easily 😃 thanks again!

Posted

• bannd67 by bannd67

Has anyone told you lately that you're a genius? Thanks!

Posted