Chimp & See Talk

Obscured species, what to record or not?

• AmandaCoganBarber by AmandaCoganBarber

Hi, I was wondering what you do if you know there is definitely something there but it is mostly obscured and there's no way to make an ID? and if this in the same video with a species such as the small grey Duiker and you feel this is most probably the same species should you record it as this, or just maybe record it as the 1 animal you can see rather than multiple/s? Thanks.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

If you only hear an animal, but definitely don't see one, you would classify as "nothing here". You are welcome to comment on the video, but please classify as blank.

If on the other hand an animal is seen, but you cannot say what it is, please take your best guess. Based on size, movement, other hints - what could it be? Even a guess helps us, because e.g. if you say it is a red river hog - we can be sure that it is a big animal and not a rat. That already helps!

You can additionally tag with #need_ID, so that someone else can take a look and provide an opinion.

Thanks a lot!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Hi @AmandaCoganBarber

Check out this blog entry from our sister project snapshot serengeti, i found it very helpful when i got started:https://blog.snapshotserengeti.org/2012/12/14/we-need-an-i-dont-know-button/

Thanks for being here on chimp&see!

Posted