Chimp & See Talk

Species Cheat Sheet - Green Snowflake

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

There is only a limited number of species at each research site. This is a cheat sheet for Green Snowflake – a rainforest habitat in East Africa. I will add more species and images soon and while we discover them.

Primates

We will see chimps, humans #human, and other primates. No gorillas!

[Click here for a bigger image]

enter image description here

Two small night active primates might be seen: galagos (aka bushbaby) #galago and pottos #potto.

Duikers

Red duikers at this site do not have a black dorsal stripe! Their fur color might vary from bright red to dark brownish. In b/w videos you can distinguish the red duikers by their size. They are bigger than small grey duikers and smaller than yellow-backed duikers. All red duikers at this site are #weyns_duiker. They also often have darker legs and a thinner tail that does move around, but not vertically as with the small grey duikers.

Hogs

Giant forest hogs have dark/black fur. Bushpigs come in a variety of different color schemes. They are a bit smaller and have bigger, floppy ears. Bushpigs are classified as “red river hogs”.

Other (non-primate)

The category “other (non-primate)” is for all species that do not fit anywhere else. You would also classify e.g. jackals here.

Rodents

Among the rodents, porcupines have their own category. They are bigger and rounder than rats and have a brushed tail that give them their name. Rats have a long thin tail. Squirrels are seen during the day and easily recognizable.

Other species and categories

There are many iconic species with their own category - like elephants and pangolins. Bushbucks #bushbuck are classified as “small antelope”. African golden cats #African_golden_cat are classified as “small cat”. (No leopards at this site.) The mid-sized dark-blue birds often seen are crested guineafowls, classified as "bird".

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Very useful @AnLand - thanks!

Posted

• squish5 by squish5

Awesome work @AnLand, thank you!!!!!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thanks @AnLAnd! Such an amazing screen grab of the forest hogs!!! so cute 😃

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

So useful, thanks @AnLand!!

Posted

• Orohena by Orohena

Thank you so much @AnLand ! I was waiting for it 😃

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Just found this. Brilliant stuff. Thanks @AnLand

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

So many animals here, this really helps! @AnLand

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Top-notch, @AnLand, thanks!

Posted

• Jeni92127 by Jeni92127

I think we need to add african_golden_cat to green snowflake's cheat sheet

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Jeni92127's comment.

You are right! I will add some missing species and more hints for identification next week. I promise!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Jeni92127's comment.

The african golden cat actually is already in the cheat sheet at the very bottom of the first entry just with no pic so far. But now @AnLand has some material to fill that gap 😉

Posted

• Hanibal94 by Hanibal94

I've seen guinea fowl: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP000dppf

Posted

Yes, indeed, these are crested guineafowls. I should really update the cheat sheet. 😃 Will do!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

A bushbuck is missing there too: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP000doo0

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

@yshish the bushbuck (a female one) is already in the sheet, under "other species and categories". You probably missed it because they look so different at night 😃

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Ah, sorry, I just probably didn't scroll down enough, I was looking for the bushbuck tag, not for an image itself. My bad.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to yshish's comment.

no problem, @yshish

Posted

Hi everyone,

We are classifying the last 4,000 videos from Green Snowflake and I recognized that we have very many bushbuck videos for classification now up; more than what should be their proportion based on the site classifications so far. I checked annotations for some videos and can see that there seems to be a confusion about what "deer-like" animals we actually have here and how to differentiate them.

At Green Snowflake we only have small grey duikers (classified as "small grey duiker" and tagged with #small_grey_duiker), red duikers - all red duikers here are Weyns' duikers (classified as "red duiker" and tagged as #weyns_duiker) - and bushbucks (classified as "small antelope" and tagged as #bushbuck.

We don't have any other deer-, duiker-, or antelope-like animals here. (No dark duikers, no Jentink's etc.)

Bushbucks have a reddish coat, but are considerably bigger than red duikers, have bigger ears, a dark neck. Here some screenshots:

If you are not sure, you can check the respective video collections for examples videos.

#bushbuck ("small antelope"): https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL00009z

#weyns_duiker ("red duiker"): https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0000lu

#small_grey_duiker ("small grey duiker"): https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/CCPL0001ly

Posted