Chimp & See Talk

Juvenile(?) with distinctive left ear (enters late from R side)

• kerebeth by kerebeth

I thought this chimp has an interesting left ear. Maybe CSJuv05?

one

ACP00027yh

This is my first chimp video, so feedback would be appreciated. I thought all 4 chimps were juveniles. Any way to identify sex? Thanks!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Great first ID post! I won't second guess your classifications of the chimps through the trees, I would be guessing. 😃

For IDing sex, the easiest way is if you get a view from behind. Juveniles are really hard to get gender for without that. Adults you can give a good guess based on their build.

There is a handy trick to get a better ID once you're here on talk, all the videos are sequential, so the next one is ACP00027yi, and we can see that your juvenile is a female by the swelling on her backside.

ACP00027yj is after that and we get a good look at her face. I think her brow has too much of a dip in it to be CSJuv5, who has a very square face. I first tried to tell two chimps apart a few days ago, I'm still learning what to look for!

Posted

• urbansonnet by urbansonnet

I think that could be CSJuv04. The age and build seems to be similar. Also I think I got a glimpse of the ear in CSJuv04 ID video.

Posted