Chimp & See Talk

Honey and Sugar

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Haven't seen these discussed yet. You can only see the back of the adult, but s/he seems (to me) to have an irregular shaped left ear. Great view of the baby.

ACP0002wbj

Adult ear
    Adult & Youth

Posted

• kruegnad by kruegnad

Might be the same two:

http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0002r9m

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to kruegnad's comment.

Possibly! Yours is 8 months later, and the baby is larger. Anyone know about growth rates of young chimps?

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

More clips in this sequence! Unfortunately it means they're definitely not the same two, this female has a very light face and rather distinctive ears, the mother of the other pair is quite dark.

ACP0002wbg ACP0002wbh

ACP0002wbi Adult looks over her shoulder.

ACP0002wbj ACP0002wbk ACP0002wbl ACP0002wbm ACP0002wbn

ACP0002wbo She gets up, very clear shot of her swellings, and the left mangled ear.

ACP0002wbp ACP0002wbq

Posted

Thanks, Quia! Hoping to see more of these two. With that left ear, the mother should be easy to spot.

Posted

• Giulia_Sirianni by Giulia_Sirianni scientist in response to Quia's comment.

Just a general remark, pay attention in using the swelling as a sign for individual recognition, since it changes within the same individual over the month

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to Giulia_Sirianni's comment.

Noted, thanks! Useful for telling who's who when there's several chimps at a site during a single day, less useful for sightings months apart.

Posted

• DataDroid by DataDroid moderator

Mother and child: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0002wb6

one

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

I think you meant RWFemale01! This is from the same sequence she was originally found in.

Posted

• DataDroid by DataDroid moderator

Er, yes, sorry.

Posted

• Tykelass by Tykelass

More footage of this female with her young
    http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0002wbj

Posted

• Giulia_Sirianni by Giulia_Sirianni scientist

Thanks!

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

There are a few more videos in this sequence, no better views of either chimp, just putting them here so they're easier to find.

ACP0002wch ACP0002wci ACP0002wcj ACP0002wck ACP0002wcl ACP0002wcm ACP0002wcn ACP0002wco

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

More from these two, same spot, same time, same view of the back of her head, with a good view of the infant's face.

ACP0002wb4 ACP0002wb5 ACP0002wb6 ACP0002wb7 ACP0002wb8 ACP0002wb9 ACP0002wba ACP0002wbb

Posted

I can not get enough of that adorable little RWInf01! I mean, come on! 😄

RWInf01

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Here is another clip of these two at this time, really good look at RWFemale01's face ACP0002wbs

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Quia's comment.

This is great. You can see she's got a scar along her right cheek.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

RWFemale01 has a really good marks to be identified, with this left ear with cut and a scar in her right cheek.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

check out the video:

Posted

Hi @Boleyn
    yes they are! I am going to merge this thread with this one (http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000h/discussions/DCP00001ef) because this video is from the same series that these others, so we can keep talking about them there. Thanks a lot and good job! 😉

Posted

I was trying to match her to RWFem01 & RWFem08, who were also described as having irregular left ears. Her ear looks different than 08, and she looks darker and heavier than 01. What do you think?
    Best clips: ACP0002rr9 ACP0002rrb Also: ACP0002rra

enter image description here
    enter image description here

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

I think it could be RwFem01. The infant looks right though I wish I could see the top of its head because it looked like it had a long mark there in the other videos. There is so much shadow on the female's face that you can't see the scar or the black spot. The ear looks mangled up though. As far as weight, she does look bigger here but if she is piloeract (hair bushed out) because she agitated by the camera (and she does run off from it after turning towards it) then she will look bigger.

Posted

Hi all,
    the cut in the RWFem08 is more deep , and in the RWFem01 is longer, so this one is more similar to RWFem01... unfortunately we can not see the other side of the face ... also the baby looks like to RWInf01. I am going to try to find more images of this serie. Thanks a lot!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

hi all, if it helps, I have been watching these videos, and Fem01 looks very alike to me.

Posted

Hi all, we are going to make a match with the RWFem01 and RWinf01 because we only found similarities. (If someone find a clearly difference please talk with us).
    Great!! we need names! some suggestion? 😉

Posted

That's awesome!! I'd like to propose Honey for RWFem01, Sugar for RWInf01.

Posted

Perfect, I like it!

Posted

After looking through more clips of Honey & Sugar (particularly ACP0002wbn), I'm thinking now that Sugar is a male. Can someone confirm from this shot? Are the names used to indicate gender? If so, Sugar may not be masculine enough. 😃

Sugar

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin

I'm okay with a male named Sugar. 😃

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

He has a very sweet face 😉 I think I've tagged all the remaining videos in this thread for these two.

Posted

• e2d2 by e2d2

I think this clip may also feature Honey and Sugar http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00036ol

Posted

Hi @e2d2
    Could you tell me why do you think it? maybe I will be agree, but I am not sure right now

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I think it was established in ACP0002wbn that Sugar is a boy. But the infant in ACP0002rr9 / ACP0002rra / ACP0002rrb looks very female to me. Am I wrong? Could a scientist please have a look?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Hi Anja,

I have checked Honey and Sugar´s tag group, and I think we have a situation here 😕

1. ACP0002rr9 / ACP0002rra / ACP0002rrb

I don´t think these are Honey and Sugar; According to the description in the list, Honey´s left ear has a long cut, and in this videos it looks ok. Besides, I´m not 100% sure, but I think you are right about the infant´s sex: Sugar is a male, and this one looks like a female to me.

1. ACP0002t51

hard to know, but it was agreed that they are Honey and Sugar. I think I can see sort of Honey´s long cut in her left ear

2. ACP0002wb4 (...)

Honey and Sugar

3. ACP00038p1 / ACP00038p2

I don´t think these are Honey and Sugar: again, the female´s left ear is not cut, but round instead.

What do you think?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Hah, I didn't think the sequences you list as #1 & #4 were them, either. Perhaps #1 and #4 are the same? I'm pretty confident that #2 is the match, though. The darker lighting and fast movement make it hard to be certain, but I see similarities in the mother's facial coloration, the rippled tear in the left ear, her bony petite body and sparse hair, and the infant's size, high riding position, and tail tuft.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

Thanks Kris,

so I will exclude #1 and #4 from Honey and Sugar tag group and give them new tempIDs: RWFem12 and RWFem12b

Thanks Anja for checking it 😃

Posted