New juvenile - cutest video EVER!!!

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Maybe more an infant?

ACP0004tfv

enter image description here

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

how cute!!!!!

it´s a lovely one, but still too close to the camera to see the traits...let´s keep it and wait for more videos 😉

Posted

Yes, I did not post it for identification, but more for the general entertainment. 😃

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

it´s a very cute find, thank you @AnLand, it made my day!!

Posted

• yshish by yshish moderator

This one really deserves the #Dailyzoo attention! 😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Could this possibly be MFJuv09? Same mottled face, with a lighter streak coming down and out of left eye and a "notch" upward of lighter skin on the left cheeck that ends in a dark dimple-like spot. Also, three wrinkles under left eye, round brows with a bit of a ridge on the left. Left ear large, round, intact.

This chimp:
    chimp

From ACP0004tfw - close-up of ridge on brow (maybe easier to see in video)
    chimp with ridge

MFJuv09 from ACP0004tfz
    Juv09
    Juv09
    This is the same location, 6 days apart.

A few "maybe not's" though... Juv09 looks like it might have a white spot on the top of its head, and this chimp has a black mark on the nose. However, the lighting and angles are quite different in these clips, so I'm not sure. Also, why would it be so curious about the camera in the later video when it was already there beside it 6 days before? Unless it's because, in the earlier sequence, Juv09 is following its mother after the leopard goes by ( http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000j/discussions/DCP00005sm)?

Posted

I thought about this too. My initial thoughts were/are: the "dailyzoo"-juvenile seems to have a still lighter face. That might be the direct light and we see MF7Juv09 only from the side. The other things that bother me is that MF7Juv09 seems to have something at its right eye (light spot) and the left brow has a bulge or better the small nick or dent.

I think your other hesitations - its interest in the camera later - is easy understandable. In the leopard situation I would have other problems too and the little one seems to be quite scared.

Posted

And this infant would fit too with what we are seeing: MF7Inf01. The wrinkles under the eye are very similar and its face is a bit lighter than MF7Juv09. There is a very small gray beard and the mouth area is somewhat narrower. (And he/she looks in this picture as if he/she would really like to explore this camera. 😉 )

enter image description here

That said: we should give the "dailyzoo"-juvenile an ID - for discussion and because in my opinion he/she deserves a name later on. Even if we cannot match him to anybody.

Posted

Hmm, I think there are a few more differences than similarities, so I don't think MFInf01 is a match with MFJuv09. And the mother looks very different, if we assume that the chimp MFJuv09 chases after is its mother (MFFem13).

The light spot you point out in MFJuv09.. I knew there was something about that right eye, but I couldn't pick out what it was. Thanks. We get a few quick glances of the dailyzoo chimp's right eye, but the conditions are so very different, I'm not sure we could see it if it was there?

Do you see the bulge/dent in the left brow of the dailyzoo chimp? (and yes, someone please label this chimp because that's a lot to type 😃)

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

No, no. The match I am proposing here is dailyzoo and MF7Inf01. MF7Juv09 is not a match to either one. At least that is my take!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Oh, I see! Sorry about that. I think the ear in Inf01 is more flat, and I don't see the black "dimple" like mark. I will look more closely later, though.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

The ear looks only this flat in the picture chosen. In the video, you can see the curvature better. About the dimple: I am not sure what part you exactly mean. I see kind of a dent. Is this what you are refering to?

I think the main problem here is that we already discussed the similarities of MF7Inf01 to others at length (in relation to Rocco), so I guess these are all infant-like features and I am not sure whether we see here something special. I see clear similarities, but ...

The more I look at it though I cannot really see the match of dailyzoo to MF7Juv09. Too dark and wide face. Rounder mouth area and more pronouced brow.

I was also asking myself whether MF7Fem13 is really the mother of MF7Juv09. She is clearly alerted by the leopard's marking, the juvenile is clearly scared, but ... there are almost four minutes between these videos. If it was her child would she really leave without him/her? The juvenile is not that old and there is not another smaller infant seen. She could easily carry him away. From what I understand, a chimpanzee mother would not leave an offspring just there in this situation. We did not see footage in between I think and I would not necessarily assume they belong together.

Sorry, only very loose thoughts about the situation ...

Posted

...nice discussion 😃

I will call her/him MF7Inf20.

And yes, you are right, s/he deserves an ID. #MF7Inf20.

Posted

I see no similarities between Inf20 and Juv09; Juv09´s eyes area is darker.

Anyway, this is a quite complicated issue, as he/she is too close to the camera...all those wrinkles that you are talking about are common to infants, so I don´t see any special trait in this video 😦

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

about Fem13+Juv09:

chimps use different ways of showing needs and emotions by using face and body gestures. They beg others for food or attention by approaching them with open hands. Moms call their offspring by stretching out their arms; remember Noble´s mom in ACP0004832 ?

A worried chimp makes a lip-puckering face and if frightened will bare its teeth, like Juv09 does:

one

. Fem13 shows concern, and it should be enough to call her offspring, I agree with you, perhaps Juv09´s mom is another one.

Sorry I can´t tell you more about their kinship 😦

Posted

Okay, that solves that! 😃 The young ones are really hard. Good to know about the wrinkles.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Thanks @NuriaM very interesting and thanks @ksigler for the nice discussion!

Posted

😃

Posted

Hey guys,

please forgive my daring, I know this is not very seriuos or rigurous, but I must admit that everytime I think of or see MF7Inf20 (the cute infant too close to the camera ACP0004tfv ) a funny song comes to my head...

let me just dedicate her (?) this one today...

http://www.vagalume.com.br/stevie-wonder/ebony-eyes.html

😃

Posted

😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

lol No, @NuriaM, you're not allowed to have any fun! 😉 It's a fitting dedication -- MF7Inf20 has amazing eyes and is hard to beat!

Posted

...Fridays, you know... 😃

Posted