Adult, tool use , eating, ID??

• Elifel by Elifel

ACP00044gc

ACP00044gb
    ACP00044gd
    ACP00044ge

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Hi @Elifel, thank you for your find. It´s a good one because we can see his/her face quite clearly. But still we can´t tell if it´s a male or a female. I will add your videos to UNCLEAR.

Thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I guess, I found him/her coming: ACP00044fz lightning is very different, but the time stamp says it's one minute before!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

And he/she might be leaving here an hour later: ACP00044ev - still not sure about whether male or female.

Posted

yes, the light is very confusing. I guess it´s the same one because he/she is carrying a trunk that will be used to crush the nuts in his/her mouth...in case they are the same individuals, still we are not sure if it´s a male or a female...what do you think? (I go for male 😉 )

We need more expert opinions!!

good detective job, @AnLand!!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

I would go with male for the moment. But I am definitely not an expert, having only learned during the last weeks in this project to separate chimpanzees reliably from other primates. 😉 My biggest fear is that you might add Gorillas and I will be totally screwed ...

Posted

😃 You are doing a great job...we are ALL learning, trust me!

let´s wait for other opinions, but I am keeping yours in mind.

Posted

• Elifel by Elifel

I think it is a male, too. But I am not an expert either !! (just some experience from my internship at the WKPRC in Leipzig)
    In the videos, that I posted I had the impression because of his muscular body (or is it just hair?) and the face looks male to me.
    In the video from @AnLand (ACP00044fz) I think you can see testlicles in second 13 and 14.
    enter image description here

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

ACP00044g0 Next video, you can definitely see his testicles hanging down, and he comes to sit down to crack his nuts.

A couple more in BW, sitting with his head in the bottom left corner. ACP00044g1 ACP00044g2

Really nice to see the same individual in both the types of cameras! It helps clarify how features change between the IR and natural light views.

Posted

Hey guys, you are absolutely right, it´s a male!! 😉

so he is not under the UNCLEAR (MF7UNCLEAR02) cathegory anymore, I am very happy for that, thanks!!

He is now MF7Male07.

Posted