Chimp & See Talk

General Question: Naming of threads after individual?

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

To all: Do you think that it would help in current and later discussions if we are naming the threads after the main individual(s) described here in the first place? We have a lot of posting at Muddy Frost of "Females carrying infants" and in later matching discussion it might get difficult to find certain postings again.

This is also a reaction to @ksigler's last post here: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000j/discussions/DCP00004ep (although in this case it just might help if @NuriaM or another moderator is merging the threads)

At least my postings I can easily re-name with the "MF7XXXX" name the individuals have now (and I suspect these are - unfortunately! - the majority of postings here).

Just an idea.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I agree, it's difficult to find old posts sometimes. I think that what you describe might be a helpful effort, as long as it's clear when a thread is a confirmed ID vs. a possible one. Another thing that might be helpful is being sure to mention every (known) individual clip ID that belongs to a sequence being discussed. That way, someone can come across any individual clip and know if it's part of a larger sequence that's already being discussed rather than something undiscovered. Then, when you rename the thread, they would all get updated at one time.

The hard part about cleaning up the data like this is weighing the added value against the risk of overburdening users. So, I defer to the mods & scientists for making process changes. Though, if approved, maybe these types of tasks could be taken on by a few volunteers, if they need a break from classifying.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Hi guys,

thanks for your suggestions...I created a thread called MF7Juv01, Juv02, Juv05, Juv11, Juv13 which gathers all three refering to the 5 juveniles:

MF7Juv01 and MF7Juv02, Long sequence with juveniles and Probable match to Juv02 are the old threads now merged together.

Posted