Chimp & See Talk

Traveling chimps

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Not the greatest face shots:

Adult male, quite dark, slightly gray lower back, gray beard, rounder brows, ears seems to be present, I cannot see irregularities.

enter image description here

Dark robust female adult. Thick fur, gray mouth area, big swelling.

Female carrying young with no clearly visible traits.

ACP0003ueh

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

She might be a match to the female. But it is more based on body size and movement. Faces similar but not great face shots. In the one above, the left ear seems to have an slight irregularity. ACP0004d38 . Time stamp: 2013-09-22

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Ok...I will propose them as matches. I am not really sure (not very good shots), but let´s see what others say. Also the swellings could make sense: if they are the same female, in the first video she is starting to come into estrus. Although swellings vary in size between females and over the sexual cycle, they usually persist for about 10 to 15 days before becoming flabby and wrinkled (both the menstrual cycle and the estrus vary in durations between females of the same species, so this is only an approximation).

There is more than one month difference between both videos, which could mean (in case they were a match) in the second video she might be finishing her estrus cycle.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

I don't feel particularly strong about that match, but I would like to point out that a) I see similarities betwenn MF7Male20 and the first male traveling here - we will not be able to match them, but I think they are similar. Which can or cannot be a hint. b) Also, the rather thin juvenile in the September scene could/should be hers. Another quite thin juvenile of - I think - the same age is following her in the first (August) scene here: ACP0003uek In my opinion, that cannot be the child of the first female appearing here as she has an infant on her back and I believe, the birth intervall in chimps is bigger than the age difference between the infant and the juvenile that follows. Just some thoughts.

The information about the swelling and unswelling is very interesting. Thanks for that!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

these are good points, thanks!

Posted