Chimp & See Talk

4 chimpanzees to travel

• Jabejafe by Jabejafe

Who knows?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Yes, it looks like we have a male and female in the distance, and another male & female walking together at the end. Interesting clip!

It's probably unlikely that the first 2 will be identified, since they're so far ahead. However.... the second pair, also seen in ACP0004hjx, bear a strong resemblance to Peter and MF7Fem12 in ACP00040bx. Anyone else agree?

For the record, the full sequence/troop appears to be as follows (+click to enlarge):

• ACP0004hjw -- adult male and adult (or older juvenile) female on the hill across the stream, followed by an adult male and adult female (Peter and MF7Fem12?).

first pair ![second pair]
    (https://static.zooniverse.org/www.chimpandsee.org/subjects/5520379e69736d72e68dc001/previews/5520379e69736d72e68dc001_15.jpg =300x)

• ACP0004hjx -- 2nd pair from above continued. We get a profile view of the male's face (Peter and MF7Fem12?).

male

• ACP0004hjy -- An unknown chimp follows on the hill (adult female?), followed by an adult female with large swelling on near side of the stream.

female

• ACP0004hjz -- A juvenile follows the female with the swelling, followed by an adult male and a female carrying an infant.

juvenile male and mother

To continue the story, 2 minutes later a juvenile is seated on the hillside eating, the goes leaves back to the left: ACP0004hks | ACP0004hkt

juvenile seated

Then, 3 minutes after that, 2 juveniles run through (presumably one is the one that just left), and some loud vocalization occurs in the distance. ACP0004hk4 | ACP0004hk5 | ACP0004hk6 | ACP0004hk7.

juveniles

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Hi @ksigler,

very nice story, thanks πŸ˜ƒ

I agree with you that he could be Peter, but just looking at their backs is too tricky to identify a chimp (unless s/he has a very obvious trait like one hand missing or something like that).

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Thanks, @NuriaM. If you'll indulge me, I'm going to add some additional detail to try to convince you once more, but that's it. πŸ˜ƒ No missing hands - fortunately! However, in ACP0004hjx, you can see the male chimp from the left side, and he has the same white marks next to the mouth that Peter has. I think the rear ends look very much alike, also, especially the bright pink seam on the scrotum. See the stills below. In ACP0004hjw, you can almost not see the right ear, which Peter is missing. (I know, I know).

And I realize it's a jump to conclude that the female is the same one with him in both clips (or 3?), but this pair has been discussed before, so I'll include a rear view of MFFem12 for comparison just the same. πŸ˜ƒ She seems very petite, at least next to the large male, with thin fur on the back and back of legs, and bony-looking hips.

Side & rear view of male + rear view of female

male

Side view of Peter from ACP00040bx

Peter

Rear view of Peter from ACP00040bx (scrotal seam more visible in video than still)

Peter

Rear view of MFFem12 from ACP00040bx

MFFem12

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

good morning @ksigler πŸ˜ƒ

you got it, I am convinced... πŸ˜‰. Yesterday I didnΒ΄t really pay attention at his white spot on his left side of the mouth, which today I can see clearly. I think itΒ΄s our Peter, you are right.

In the case of the female, although their rears really look alike, I still find it too complicated.

Thanks for trying again!!!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Thanks, @NuriaM. πŸ˜„

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

πŸ˜ƒ

Posted