Chimp & See Talk

Slow infant & white faced female? -- Pearl and Flocke

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0005cyp and ACP0005cyq This infant seems to have physical problems. Initially infant tries to dismount to a vine but the vine seems not able to support, so puts feet on the ground and staggers to grab the tree and pull up.

Has a large shaggy head, pale muzzle, proportionately bigger upper chest & arms & slender legs - perhaps legs did not properly develope? Not great for facial ID, but distinctive behavior.

enter image description here

enter image description here

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0005cyp and ACP0005cyq ACP0005cyr White faced female? large nose, protruding lips, ( may have a plant plug in mouth), jutting muzzle, prominent pale brow. Both ears look intact, stocky body. Did I see the swelling correctly, or do I need to edit out female?

white faced chimp

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi Snorticus,
    about the infant, I am not sure... all I can see is maybe a weird movement of his/her left arm when he/she down from the mom, but maybe is something postural.
    The ID of the female will be complicated with this images, because she is bit far and behind branches. But we can pay attention if we see this baby (with this weird movement) again.

Well seen anyway!

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I spent a good long while sorting out timestamps and I think this video is part of an interesting long term story. Starting with November 22nd and continuing through December 31st, we see chimps passing by this cam every few days, always either in the late morning (as here, around 11am), or in the afternoon (~1500 to ~1700). Perhaps we'll find more to add to the story, but for now, you can see all the time information I collected in the spreadsheet @Quia made.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I noticed I was seeing several clips from this location last night, and it seemed to be a hot spot of chimp activity. Looking forward to viewing your organizational work on the spreadsheet tonight. I really think this infant is handicapped, after watching this clip many times, and looking at it's large upper body size & shape in relation to it's slim legs (which he/she would have if the upper body and arms did all the work instead of the legs).

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

How can you read the time stamps in those white-on-white clips?

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

It's possible to deduce some of the information based on other clips -- for example if you look at column B in the spreadsheet, the videos are grouped together by which camera they came off of, and then numbered in order. So if video number 1 from camera A is dated 1/1/2014, and video 2 is dated 1/?/2014 (you can't read the middle part), and video 3 is dated 1/1/2014, you can infer that video 2 is also from 1/1/2014.

So the short answer is, with much difficulty 😉

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

amazing!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

I don't think there is anything wrong with this infant, they look fine to me, just a nicely fed infant 😃

Posted