Chimp & See Talk

How to pick up a big stone with only one hand -- Dodge

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Here is a wonderful (and sad) video from what I believe is Dodge, picking up a big stone for tool use. He really has difficulties and need to bent to the side to keep balance and get up again. ACP00053b1, ACP00053b2, and ACP00053b3

enter image description here

In the second (and third) video, there is some vocalization. Maybe he "just" injured himself or he has a dispute with someone not seen about the stone or nuts or whatever. We heard before that other chimps could use his situation for their advantage.

And here his great face - the video footage is more impressing!

enter image description here

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0005ckf on 2013-06-15 In first clip of Dodge, he clearly has 5 toes on each foot.

ACP00053b1 on 2013-11-04 Looking at this chimp's left foot when he brings it forward it seems shortened and lacking toes, while all 5 toes can be seen on the right foot.

ACP0004zng on 2014-03-09 The chimp you suggested might be missing a foot, is maybe missing toes but not the whole foot as we can see a pale sole but not clear enough to tell if toes are present.

(Discussion on missing foot chimp here: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000k/discussions/DCP00009bq)

My point is that I am still wondering if Dodge is the only one armed chimp. He could have lost some toes later, or I may be not be seeing the left foot clearly, or maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

Dodge's toes

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all,
    I can not see very well the left foot in this video, ACP00053b1, and the rest of characteristics, specially the noise shape, make think that is also Dodge.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I just realized that Dodge in this video picks up a stone for display. He is tossing the stone in ACP00053b2 (one can hear, but not see it). What I do not know is what the vocalization (the longer and loud one in ACP00053b2 and ACP00053b3) means and whether that's him (and part of the display) or not.

Posted

• akalan by akalan scientist

The loud vocalization is a scream, and if you listen closely in ACP00053b2 you also hear 'hoos' beforehand, this compound-call vocalization is known as the chimpanzee pant hoot and is part of their display repertoire. Hope that helps!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to akalan's comment.

Thanks, @akalan! Yes, I also thought the "quieter" hoos are part of the display, but I was not sure what the loud screams are (and whether they are part of the display). So, I guess that there is somebody else present and it's not Dodge himself screaming.

Posted