Chimp & See Talk

Infant with strange face coloration

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I do not want to imply here anything, but the face pigmentation of the infant looks irregular and I don't think that it is only the light. Not comparable to Pearl, but different to other infants. The mother is traveling fast ... ACP00050bx

enter image description here

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

yes, I can see the the dark spot above the lip... that could be an infection.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

or it could be some dirt or a natural pigmentation difference 😃 hopefully we find another video with this pair to know better 😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Clearly it's a beauty mark! And she's probably self-conscious enough without you guys saying she's dirty or has an infection. Geez! 😉

(Joking, of course! Hopefully it's nothing serious for the little one.)

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

😃

Posted

😄

Posted

(I find it interesting that we assume inherently for all the really cute or special or lively small infants that they are girls. Has been the same at Muddy Frost. Quite a bias here ...)

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Hahah, honestly, I try not to assume gender anymore (which makes it harder when thinking up names!), but in this case, calling it a "she" worked for the joke. 😉

Posted

;D

Posted

So, does this mean that the infant with the dark spot on its muzzle is Cali (carried by Gertrude) in February 2014, so a year older than here with her and Jax? I still cannot estimate the infant age(s) very well.

Posted

I looked into the other Gertrude posts. This here ACP00058a5 is closest in time (three months earlier) and with a good face shot. At least, I could not exclude it based on the face features, but it is an infant's face, so I am not sure. The dark spot is not there and neither seen in other sequences, I think. The features of the fast traveling mother would fit somehow Gertrude and I understand that we settled with only two mothers with small infants.

Posted

Hi AnLand,
    I agree that the female in ACP00050bx is Gertrude (with Cali). So if we are right, that means that the dark spot above the lip is not a birthmark (or at least I can not see it in ACP00058a5). Let's pay attention in the other videos of Gertrude, If we can see the face of Cali...
    Thanks

Posted