Chimp & See Talk

Amazing sequence found by @AnLand!

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

18 21 videos recorded over the span of 10 25 minutes on 1/22/2014:

part 1 9:50:51 ACP000509y A big male (I believe is CDMale01), followed by Dodge

enter image description here

part 2 ACP000509z The big male and Dodge keep walking.

(part 3 and 4 have no chimps)

part 1 9:53:17 ACP00050aa A female with a ventral infant shows up

part 2 ACP00050ab female keeps walking

part 3 ACP00050ac what appears to be a young adult male dashes in (I suspect Fry, but don't think we can be sure, see below)

part 4 ACP00050ad the young male stops for a rest

part 1 9:56:04 ACP000509u we pick up less than 2 minutes later with what appears to be the same young adult male resting in the back, he's joined by a big male who sits closer to the camera. I believe the young male in back to be Fry and the closer male to be Luigi

part 2 ACP000509v the two males rest and groom themselves

part 3 ACP000509w the two males rest and groom themselves

part 4 ACP000509x the two males rest and groom themselves

part 1 9:57:25 ACP00050a2 it's 20 seconds later, the two males are joined by Pearl carrying Flocke, and another chimp I'm fairly confident is Esme due to her posture, gait, back coloration, and rear end. (The preview isn't very clear, but I'm 100% sure of Pearl -- you can see her face in the video.)

part 2 ACP00050a3 Pearl sits down on the slope and Flocke starts to do some really fun suspended twirls (a behavior unique to infants and young juveniles, again hard to see in the preview). Esme joins Pearl on the hill and the young male in back gets up to leave. The big male remains in place.

part 3 ACP00050a4 The young male leaves, Flocke continues, Pearl and Esme appear to both be on the slope, and the big male remains in place.

part 4 ACP00050a5 Pearl, Flocke, and Esme continue on the slope. A swollen female arrives and mates with the big male.

part 1 9:59:19 ACP000509a It's less than a minute later. The swollen female and big male appear to be walking in the back. He leaves, she sits down. Pearl and Flocke are where they were, Esme seems to be in the same spot too. A large female with a dorsal infant arrives.

part 2 ACP000509b The female with dorsal infant leaves. The swollen female gets up to leave. Pearl, Flocke, and Esme remain in place.

part 3 ACP000509c The swollen female leaves, but there is a lot of noise and commotion from her general direction. I have no idea what happened, but someone climbs up a tree. Pearl, Flocke, and Esme remain in place.

part 4 ACP000509d Some motion in the background. Pearl, Flocke, and Esme remain in place.

part 1 10:13:37 ACP000508i Almost 15 minutes from where we left off, a lone swollen female, only seen from behind.

part 2 ACP000508j She continues walking

part 3 ACP000508k She leaves

What a fun set -- thanks @AnLand (and @Boleyn) for finding them!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

What a soap opera!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Yeah, they are really hanging out together a lot at Crimson Dew.

Thanks, @jwidness for taking the time and effort to put this in order and writing the script. 😉

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

You guys really make me so happy we did this citizen science project - amazing stuff!

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Super nice complete scene...
    the female in ACP00050a5 could be CDFem04, and the Female with baby in ACP000509a could be Amy and River, but that is not a match, is just by size/shape. Difficult to be sure...

Thanks for the compilation!

Posted

Three more videos added to the story -- found by @Boleyn: ACP000508i, ACP000508j, ACP000508k

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

great job @jwidness you've really got the knack for this whole project!

Posted

Thanks jwidness

Posted

Well after looking around a bit, it seems @AnLand and @blahcoon found a few more videos that are potentially part of this story. They're from a completely different camera (no idea how far away), but run from 9:41:00 to 9:42:57 on the same day (1/22/2014) -- so ending less than 10 minutes before the other videos.

part 1 9:41:00 ACP0004zqc A female with a ventral infant, a female with a dorsal infant, and a big male walk by. I suspect it's the same individuals from the other set of videos.

part 2 ACP0004zqd They continue on their way

part 3 ACP0004zqe A young adult (I think Fry) and Pearl/Flocke walk by

part 4 ACP0004zqf They continue on their way

part 1 9:42:12 ACP0004zq8 We pick up 12 seconds later with 3 individuals in the frame -- one very distant, a swollen female, and another big male. They continue walking and just before the clip ends, Esme's arm shows up.

part 2 ACP0004zq9 Esme continues walking

part 3 ACP0004zqa Esme continues walking

part 4 ACP0004zqb Esme continues walking (she's quite slow), and at the very end, a vocalization

Posted

The two first females from ACP0004zqc could be Ollie with Chibi and Amy with River

Posted

That's exactly who I think it is. And if that's true, I think it's more believable that the female with dorsal infant in http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000k/discussions/DCP0000b6j is also Amy with River.

Posted

• Mercury82 by Mercury82

Wow, what a story 😃
    So, just to make sure I get it right:
    The female mating with (maybe) Luigi could be CDFem04 - but who could the other female be (appearing in the follow-up sequence found by @Boleyn) - she has a remarkable swelling that could be a distinguishing feature, right?

And who do you think is the female with the ventral infant followed by the energetic juvenile in ACP00050aa? It would have to be Ollie withi Chibi, if I understood everything. Because it's not Gertrude and there's no other female with an infant?

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to Mercury82's comment.

I'm leaning toward the idea that the female mating with (maybe) Luigi is Yeesha (I think she has a darker face than CDFem04, but the view isn't great), and the swollen female 15 minutes later is CDFem04. I haven't really looked at them from behind that much though, so I could easily be wrong. Trying to ID the females from behind is on my to-do list, but it's more complicated than the males because there are more of them and they change in appearance throughout a cycle.

I agree that the female in ACP00050aa is Ollie with Chibi, and I still think the energetic juvenile is Fry. It's unclear if there are any other females with young infants besides Gertrude, see http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000k/discussions/DCP0000b6j. In particular, I'm still wondering about the 2nd female in ACP000559u, and about the female in ACP00055m1.

Posted