Chimp & See Talk

Juveniles

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

hi all,

I am going to put here the pictures and videos that we have until now from juveniles, to try to clarify if there is only one, or more...
    If you have seen more videos with good views, please add them here, and also I will add them to the list. Thanks

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

CDMale02

one one one one

ACP0005eiw / ACP0005eix

Young Male, pale muzzle, darker around the eyes. Intact ears.

Fry / CDJuv01

one one one one

ACP0004vbh / ACP00054fo / ACP00054fp / ACP000537x

Juvenile with round brows, dark eye area, light mouth area, intact ears.

CDJuv02

one one one one

ACP00054u8 / ACP00054u9

young, light face, there seems to be something in his left ear or shoulder (maybe it's just a leaf...)

CDJuv03

one

ACP0005ece

Juvenile chimpanzee. Probably to fast to ID

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Jax the juvenile that can be seen with Gertrude is not yet in the known and prospective list.
    He also looks quite similar to Fry, CDMale02 and CDJuvenile02, at least in the first image. But the one in the night footage looks somehow younger to me.

enter image description here

ACP0005e6j

Not a very good pic but maybe still helpful.

enter image description here

ACP0004zj7

in the second night video you can see that he is still quite playful:

ACP0004zj8

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Party pooper here 😃

Jax is quite a bit smaller than Fry/CDMale02/Juv02/03. You can see when Fry's traveling with other males, he's much thinner and slighter than them, but only a a little shorter, he's almost adult sized. Jax, on the other hand, is visibly smaller than Gertrude.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

There's this younger male, who reminds me of CDJuv02 in size, facial coloration, and dropped lower lip. Seen entering behind an older male in ACP0005fh2, then walking past the camera and exiting in ACP0005fh3.

juv
    juv

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

My take on the situation is still that there is only one subadult male (Fry). I think this young male in ACP0005fh2 is him again -- I think I mentioned him in the absurdly complicated thread when Fry was first named ( http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000k/discussions/DCP00009by). That thread was kind of a mess (my fault, sorry), so I don't really want to suggest people go back and read it, but I did post all the videos that I had seen at the time of young males, if that's any help to this current discussion. 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Just briefly: I cannot believe that there are only Fry and Jax, but nothing at the moment indicate that there are more juveniles around. I have not idea whether that is considered as normal or not, but that's what we are seeing.

I was a bit surprised by the face shot we finally found from Jax, as he/she looks bigger than I imagined. But the normal birth intervall suggested that he should be at least 5-6 years and I think, that is the case and not much more. Before we've seen Jax only from a distance or running absurdly fast after Gertrude. 😉 Jax still has a white anal tuft (no time now, but seen e.g. here: ACP00058a6) that Fry does not have for sure. And Fry is considerable bigger as a subadult. The fact that both have a quite light face is not more than this, I think.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

I see that now - thank you! I was probably being lazy and not looking beyond the prospective list, and since it didn't have a name tagged yet, I thought I would add it. But I agree with you that it does look like the same chimp that has been named Fry.

Posted