Chimp & See Talk

2 adult females, one injured?

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

The first female on video is walking oddly. Perhaps she is injured. May or may not be useful for ID. The other has a large swelling:

http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP00051fe

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Female, heavy balding, straighter brow, slight white beard, missing right ear with small whitish stub, odd gait... Unless I'm missing someone, we don't have any prospective or IDed females with missing ears, so she's someone new.

These are very distant and not at all good for matches, but I saw the funny gait and immediately recognized it.

ACP0005d1d

ACP0005dhx Second chimp, could argue for a possible match, I cannot see any ear, even though we clearly see that side of her head.

edit-- Doublechecking, Esme does have a similarly damaged right ear... and beard.. and balding... and she has a limp, but doesn't normally walk like this...

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

You don't think it's Esme? I'm not sure this female is missing an ear -- I think you can see it in a flash of sunlight around :04.

I also think the second chimp from ACP0005dhx is Esme as well, but not the one in ACP0005d1d.

Posted

Could be wrong, but I feel like the first female has both her ears? The second passes too quickly to tell.

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Well, now I agree on Esme, and I disagree on ear! 😃 I think she's got a stub, it's paler than her head, which is what Esme has, too. We rarely see the right side of her head, normally we notice the big cut ear on the left.

Esme's right ear

ACP00057b5

ACP00058ch

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Now that you point it out, it does look like a stub. I never noticed that about her ear before even after watching her in so many videos. Good catch 😃

Posted

I see what you mean about the ear in the second video. It does look a lot like Esme.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I cannot really say what it is and whether there is actual damage on her left ear, but here in ACP00058ch I do not see Esme. (But it might be the light, I did not see many b/w footage of her.) Looks differently.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Here a b/w picture from Esme to compare...

one Esme

one

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

Thanks, maybe I have been irritated as I most often concentrate on her left ear ....

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

So do you think it's Esme?

I also focus on her left ear a lot for ID! As you can see by my first post, where I didn't think anyone we'd seen had any missing/damaged right ears, and there she is staring us in the face. 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Quia's comment.

Haha, so @wandawmn proved how unreliable my opinions sometimes are with re-finding and posting this b/w footage ACP0005875 that I annotated already 12 days ago as maybe Esme.

In the picture @PauDG posted for me to compare - that I knew, of course - I only looked at the damaged ear. It was there: fine. In the other footage, her ear is not well seen (better in ACP0005875) and her face is quite round and flat. I never noticed this before. So I got irritated.

But yes, Esme. Sorry for the confusion.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

I also think that is Esme

Posted