Chimp & See Talk

Awesome travel scene

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

ACP0005w4u, ACP0005w4v, ACP0005w4w, ACP0005w4x - not much help with ID as faces are mostly not seen. Two males, two juveniles, one swollen female, one female with a dorsal infant, one female with a ventral infant, one male, one young male, two swollen females. I hope, I did not forget somebody.

Face shot from the older juvenile:

enter image description here

Just fun:

Face shot from one female:

Just nice to watch them!

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

nice group!

I just don't sure if this "subadult" is female or male...

one
    one
    one

What do you think?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

Hi @PauDG,

I know what you mean and cannot see something in the pictures you posted here either and the rear end looks quite white (as in a swelling). But I watched the video yesterday evening and this morning repeatedly and I still think that I see something "swinging" between the legs. I mean, it can a strange light effect maybe. But I still think male. (Of course, you are the expert and if female, no problem).

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

wow, nice! there would be many chimps to name if they only were better to identify.
    As to male or female subadult: I think I can also see something swinging... 😃

Posted

Perfect!!
    we can say "(sub) adult female" then. Thanks!

Posted

Just to make it clear: you don't think, it is a male (or is it just a typo)? I'm just confused. It's fine, if you think female.

Posted

ahh, no no sorry, it is a typo, re-watching the videos I also thought that there is something swinging.

So, "(sub) adult male"

Thanks!

Posted

I have a non-ID question. The first male, we see in that scene has a white irregularity at his butt (a bit left) that looks like a small wound, at least on the fur, not necessarily a skin or flesh wound. This is only one day after we've seen the other male (still without a name) with this gap near his right ear. Might that be wounds after a small fight? (This here is 26th of October, the other male's videos are from October 25 and November 20.) That would be mean "trait" is not permanent.

I am not talking about a match here. Clearly none of the visible males in ACP0005wbj have this wound, I am only asking whether these could be wounds. (And of course that means, we cannot rely on this mark.)

Posted

Exactly, they can be wounds. That is why I wanted to wait a bit to accept the match between Bruno (the one with the gap in the head) and LSMale03, just to be sure about the dates of the videos and see if in the next video from him he has the wound or not. But at least few days we could see the wounds and they could help us.

Great AnLand!

Posted

Sorry, one more question/observation/remark: in this video ACP0005ot4 (November 19th, 2013), Rufus also have two small parallel white marks that could be wounds at the side of his body. The marks were not there in the March 2013 videos. Only his big white scar is there in all videos.

The other chimps have also bigger white marks, but I am not sure whether these are not just leafs or something. With Rufus, it does not look like leafs for these two small stripes, I think. There is another white spot at the other side of his back, but I cannot see it well. They seem to be all quite alerted in ACP0005ot4 and ACP0005ot5, but I am not sure, what the noise is (they are listening at the end) and what the vocalization in the beginning is. (The other potential "wounds" from Bruno and the first mentioned here are from a month before. I don't want to imply any connection. It's just an observation. I also don't know what could cause these parallel marks.)

Posted

The noise are creaking branches (If I listened what you meant ), and the parallel mark in Rufus could be a scratch.

Posted

This is just an observation as we do not see so often chimps standing bipedally.

This female from ACP0005n04 (briefly, but better seen in the video)

and this one from the first post in this thread ACP0005w4w

Just because they are looking huge with these long limbs and upper body and I think, it's cool.

Posted

Is super cool!! Thanks 😉

Posted