Chimp & See Talk

**LSMale13 - Adult male with missing right eye? Rufus?

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Some night videos (same day) from an adult male. The right eye does not reflect and might be absent. Will be probably hard to see this trait in daylight videos. Slightly arched brows, protruded, quite bald, long face, ears seems to be present, not sure whether left one is fully undamaged. ACP0005mz8 and ACP0005mzg In ACP0005mzh there seems to be a female in the background.

enter image description here

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

He reminds me of Mr. Spock: the hairline and the somekind pointed ears 😃

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Good find! Let's see if we can realize about this in the daylight videos...

Posted

ACP0005xou I am not sure where to put this (no matching obviously), but there something with the male's (second chimp) left eye? It looks very light and I don't think, it is only light reflection.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

It looks like maybe the skin under the eye is swollen.

Posted

Yes, maybe. And they are actually similar. (Nothing that can be shown, I guess and quite unlikely. But I think body build, movements, form of brows, baldness, and the dark fur color (no grayness visible) are very similar.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Who is similar? The 2 chimps with eye issues? Because they are different eyes on each one. Or are you saying you think it may be 1 chimp with 2 bad eyes (first the lack of eyeshine in the right, then swelling or something on the left)? I think the one in ACP0005mz8 seems to have a balder head than in ACP0005xou.

From ACP0005xou (:04 secs):
    not bald

You can see his/her head well on the far left here between the leaves (:09 secs):
    not bald

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

But sometimes the baldness looks very different in the night videos and colour videos. I am not saying that we need to do a match at all, just pay attention on these chimps.

Thanks!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

While reviewing I noticed that Rufus's right eye is closed in videos where we can see his face close-up like in ACP0005uj8 ACP0005uhw or ACP0005ujc. The nightchimp above (LSMale13) has also a damaged right eye. The wide, bald forehead, slightly bowed brows and intact ears would fit Rufus. The muzzle seems longer in the night video but it's a different angle. What do you think, could LSMale13 in ACP0005mz8 ACP0005mzg ACP0005mzh be Rufus?

Rufus in ACP0005uhw

Rufus in ACP0005j8e

Edit: Here's also a b/w image of Rufus from ACP0005ot5 for better comparison:

Posted

I can't see anything problematic with Rufus' eye and don't see any other strong similarities.

Posted