Chimp & See Talk

Subadult male, crossing water with group - Iggy(LSJuv03), Bruno, and Leo (LSMale01)

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

From a large group found by @Orohena -- everyone else without a good look at the face. 😕 The group includes one adult (only arms/legs seen), this subadult male, a female with a dorsal infant, a swollen female, and two adult males. ACP0005wbi, ACP0005wbj, ACP0005wbk.

enter image description here

He reminds me a bit of Fry (which of course he isn't because Fry is at a different site). Slim build, pale muzzle, darker eye area, bit of a white beard, lightly curved brows, somewhat darker ears (both present and normal), doesn't seem to have much of any baldness, dark back.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

None of the males is Rufus. That's one piece of knowledge, at least. Which female has the infant (the first dark faced, right?) and there is another one with a swelling? Or do I get this wrong. (First video)

Posted

You're right, there's another female at the end of the line with a swelling. I'll edit my post above. Yes, I see an infant on the first female's back. It's confusing because it seems that both females cross the water above the camera, so they seem to disappear.

Edit: I also see two big males crossing on the lianas, but only one coming in from the back. Where is the other one coming from?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

Yes, me too. No idea, from somewhere at the side? And I guess the females are crossing where it is safer ...)

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

wow, this scene is amazing!

I am going to include the subadult male in the prospective list as LSJuv03 ( ACP0005wbi), but unfortunately we can not see well the rest of the group to include them in the list. But let's keep in mind them.

Thanks!

Posted

I just want to note two things here about the adult males in the videos (I recognized it when @MimiA uploaded the complete sequence on facebook). Not sure whether it is relevant enough.

First male (after LSJuv03): he has a white spot behind his ear as this male from ACP0005l76 and ACP0005l77 who might be a match to LSMale02 and LSMale03. The back looks for both suggested matches more gray, but I would not exclude light effects here. Much more is not seen from the face, but maybe that helps later on. (I cannot see the white spot in LSMale02 and LSMale03, but here the face features are very similar).

Second Male: he has a bald spot on the left side of his neck (at or near the shoulder). Much like LSMale01. There might not be a full ear. Best shot, I could find. ACP0005zgu (I would like to add that I think, both males are very massive with a quite big belly).

At least, in both the baldness pattern seems to fit. Not much, but some observations.

Posted

Hi AnLand

about the first male in ACP0005wbj, you are right, he has a "gap" in the head, as ACP0005l76 has. So we can do match here (could you please choose a name? Thanks)

I see the face more similar to LSMale03 than to LSMale02, but maybe because of the video of LSMale02 is darker.

Anyway, I would prefer if for now we add this new known chimp to the list, and we figure out what happened with the "gap"

about the second male in ACP0005wbj, he has the same bald in the left shoulder that LSMale01, and also the same open mouth... great!!! So we need also a name to LSMale01.

Thanks a lot! very good job

Posted

Wow, I did not expect so much agreement here. Thanks a lot!

First of all: maybe @Orohena would like to propose a name for LSMale01. She/he found both videos, I based my observations on.

About the other one, I would like to think ...

Posted

jejeje, ok, not in a hurry. Thanks!

Posted

Hi all, I asked @Corcaroli to name the other chimp (the male with a "gap" behind his ear) and the proposed name is Bruno. Thanks, @Corcaroli!

Posted

Thanks a lot AnLand!! and @Orohena @Corcaroli, join us in this ID part, is the best!! 😉

Posted

Hi all,
    we need also a name to the match between the second male in ACP0005wbj and LSMale01.
    Thanks a lot!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

Can we wait until tomorrow morning to give @Orohena a chance? I will write her/him another message. If @Orohena does not reply until tomorrow morning, I will suggest a name.

Posted

Sure, no worries, it was just to remind you. We can wait until @Orohena answers, no hurry. Thanks for asking her (?)

😉

Posted

So, @Orohena was not here in the last days. I don't know how long we should wait. Maybe @PauDG decides. If Orohena does not respond, I know that @jwidness has a strong interest to take over and name this guy.

Posted

@jwidness, go ahead! 😉

Posted

I would like to propose Leo. Thanks 😃

Posted

Perfect!

so from now LSMale01 will be Leo

Thanks!

Posted