Chimp & See Talk

Archie: Adult male with white spotted beard/muzzle - LSMale04

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Adult male a bit distant with bald forehead, straigther, protruded brows, both ears present, damage not visible (from this distance). His muzzle looks a bit strange while feeding, but I think, the big white spots are only this. ACP0005uxu, ACP0005uxv, ACP0005uxw (I don't think that these are only light reflexes.)

enter image description here

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Also seen in ACP0005uy1, ACP0005uy2, ACP0005uy3, ACP0005uy4. Those white spots around his mouth are very distinctive!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Are these just white spots or are they signs of a disease similar to Pearl's facial issues in Muddy Frost 7?

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all,

for now he will be LSMale04.
    I am not sure if is a pigmentation problem, or some infraction... I am asking more people.

Thanks!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0005uy1 Here are two preview shots. It looks as if there are possible facial scars or injuries? Will help with further ID.

facial issues

facial issues

Posted

Hi all,
    my colleagues bet for a pigmentation issue...

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Thanks, @PauDG

Posted

πŸ˜‰

Posted

Hi all again!!!

I think that this chimp ( ACP0005iin) could be LSMale04. I think I can see some different pigmentation around his mouth. What do you think??

There is not good pictures, better see the video.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

I think his muzzle is more uniformly light than LSMale04, made more noticeable because he's carrying something in his mouth. In LSMale04, the white spots are very well-defined and go up almost to the eye. Also, LSMale04's back looks a bit more rough and battered. I will look at other LS Males to see if I can propose a different match, but that's my opinion on LSMale04 for now.

Update: Of those on the Known/Prospective list, I see similarities (size, body and rear end coloration, light muzzle) with Leo or LSMale01a.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

Hi Ksigler
    I am going to add this last male as LSMale14 to help us to talk about him while we find the match πŸ˜‰
    Thanks for your comments!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I see a lot of similarities, but it is hard to say (because of the brief look) whether the pigmentation (or de-pigmentation) is the same. The body build is not robust enough for Leo, I think. The gray back, black legs, dark testicles and these lighter patches are consistent with LSMale04. So is the baldness. There is something white on his muzzle and for me, it is more localized than just a lighter muzzle.

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Pulled out the photoshop zoom trick (but did not edit), since the stills aren't great. This is what I see, as far as markings on the face... few to none. The bright spot at the mouth is something he's carrying in his mouth. Nothing like LSMale04, in my opinion.

LSMale14:
    LSMale14

LSMale04:
    LSMale04

LSMale04

I might be willing to concede the point about the back scars (light, angle, healing -- and as we learned from Dry Lake, a missing patch of hair can look like a white scar, but be temporary). The face just doesn't match to me, though.

HOWEVER, just throwing this out there,.... this clip of Male14 is from May 2013, and the sequence with Male04 is October 2013. Maybe whatever caused the pigmentation issues didn't kick in until after May? I tend to go for easier explanations, though.

I'm also seeing a twisted-looking right ear on Male04, which I don't see (but maybe can't see) on Male14. I'll keep looking...

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Back over here at Lingering Shape, I vote yes that:

ACP0005uy3 - LSMale04 matches ACP0005iin - LSMale14

Both chimps have white facial pigmentation right of mouth, balding on forefront of crown, top of right ear has a notch or tear damage, similar body shape & size, similar coloring & shape of pattern on the back, white spot on lower back above anus:

ACP0005uy3 - LSMale04

white spot on back

I agree with a match to

ACP0005iin - LSMale14 as proposed by Paula

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Excellent, Dawna, thanks! I'm happy you're having mercy on our old friends back at LS πŸ˜ƒ

I checked my review notes from LingeringShape and noted there: Support match between LSMale04 and LSMale14. That's three votes!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Boleyn's comment.

πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Great!! Dawna, name or namer?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to NuriaM's comment.

You know Dick @Corcaroli has been such a diligent team member on this project, I think we should ask him if he would like to name this guy.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Great choice!! ThatΒ΄s very kind of you Dawna πŸ˜ƒ

@Corcaroli, would you do the honors? will you give us a name for LSMale04 and LSMale14?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

@Corcaroli said:

It is always a pleasure to select a chimp name! How about Archie. And many thanks to Dawna for nominating me. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to NuriaM's comment.

He definitely looks like an Archie! πŸ˜„

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Oh yes, Dick, Archie fits him very well ;D

Posted