Chimp & See Talk

Another male group crossing, missing thread - Rufus, Ebony (LSMale09), Krikkit, juvUnIDb, LSMale12

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

This video has been found by @ConnyBenny 7 days ago but I couldn't find a thread about it. It's another great scene of male chimps crossing the same creek from a slightly different angle. Only ACP0005wka was mentionned in the Rufus entry.

ACP0005wka
    ACP0005wkb
    ACP0005wkc
    ACP0005wkd

So we have #Rufus als No 1

enter image description here

a second strong male with dark fur and maybe a healing wound on his rear?

the third and the fourth both seemingly smaller. The third with a pointy rear end (like LSJuv03) but the fur on the back seems to be brighter. So I'm far from sure.

and the fourth a very agile young man

Now the very interesting part in this sequence is the last video with No. 5:
    He crosses the river by foot and he reminds me very much of Ebony. His dark fur and face and the hunched walking. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I think they are very much alike. What do you think?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Right, we mentioned briefly the white scar on the back of the first male (I still think, it might be Rufus), but did not do anything else with these dynamic guys.

I agree that No. 2 (the guy with something in his right hand) seems to have a lighter spot at the same place where we saw earlier that "butt wound". But it is really hard to see. A bit more convincing for me is that he also have this white spot high on his back (more on the right side) that I saw earlier (see this discussion from yesterday: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000l/discussions/DCP0000dng ). So, I can imagine that they are the same at least. Face not seen. Ears are present and without apparant damage, brows (seen briefly from the side) are a bit protruded.

No. 3 - the young guy, looks definitive younger than the others, but I am not certain whether he is the juvenile. Did we make a conscious decision between the subadult Krikkit and the juvenile LSJuv03? (The "age classification", not the individuals!) If I compare them with the one here, I would rather go with Krikkit (or another young adult). I do not see anything pink in his face (very brief look), LSJuv03 has a quite pink muzzle. From Krikkit we have no daylight videos, so hard to tell. The rounder brows and mouth shape might fit.

No. 5 (the walking guy) - he certainly looks hunched and quite dark. I cannot really see much of his face. I will look later a bit more. But for now: yes, could be Ebony.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all!!

n1- I agree, is Rufus

n2- we have "two" more images of a chimp with something in the right shoulder, the first in ACP0005ot4, and LSMale8 in ACP0005wcm, this last I am not sure if it is only the right ear that we can see.

n3- too light to be LSJuv03, who has the back completely dark. And I can not say that this is Krikkit looking this face.

n4 - the same happens with this one, too light to be LSJuv03, there is not visible face to propose other match.

n5- I agree, is dark and look hunched, but difficult to be sure, is too far away...

What do you think about the n2??

Thanks a lot!!!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

You mean - for No. 2 in ACP0005wcm - that you are not sure? I looked again and I am very, very sure that it is not the ear. I don't know what it is, but if you compare the position of the muzzle with the position of the white spot, the ear would be too far down the back (whether he turned the head heavily or not). The spot is at the shoulder. And as we see the spot also in ACP0005wka not the whole time, I am more and more convinced that it is really there. (I also think, they are a match, but even without that: some kind of white spot is there, it is not only the ear. Ok, only my strong opinion.)

Posted

I am going to add the 2nd Male to the prospective list to help us to talk about him, so for nor he will be n2-LSMale09

Posted

I've seen here a young male with very light legs and lower back. But I cannot say something about matching ... ACP0005n5o (the one closest to the camera). Only thing that catches my eye are the very light testicles.

Adult male in the background could be again the bigger matching group (LSMale03/06), but I am not sure here. The more I look the more similar they get. 😉

Posted

Thanks AnLand!

puff, very complicated. The young male in ACP0005n5o reminds me more to the first young male ACP0005wkb, but he could be other different... very hard to know.

About the male in the background, he seems to have the same bald head patron, but still far. What if we try to decide if we do the match between LSMale03/06? as we are talking about them as one single chimp... let's talk again about this in http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000l/discussions/DCP0000d8l

Thanks a lot!

Posted

I updated here the thread title to mark that LSMale09 is now identified as Ebony and that means that No. 5 is definitely not Ebony (only a dark male).

Posted

perfect, thanks a lot!!

Posted

And the male in the background (the dark male), will be from now LSMale12, to make us easier to talk about him.

Posted