Chimp & See Talk

Pretty chimp

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I think this is a match to LSFem03, the pretty eyed chimp. Large eyes, even, curved brows, long upper muzzle, pale muzzle, slightly protruding lower middle lip, both ears intact and large, somewhat high on the head. Her legs are long with somewhat sparse hair. Clip ACP0005js3 found by TUNG84, series continues with ACP0005js4 ACP0005js5 ACP0005js6

ACP0005js3
    pretty eyed chimp
    ACP0005jsq
    pretty eyed chimp

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Quite a good look at her rear and her long slender legs with somewhat sparse hair.

ACP0005js3
    pretty chimp rear view

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

yeah!!!! here is LSFem03 again, great

@Snorticus, do you want to choose a name?

Thanks a lot!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

But this is actually the same scene. Two minutes apart. (But, of course, this beauty needs a name!)

Posted

ups! well, I hope we will be able to recognize her again, at least in the b/w scenes 😉

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

How about we just name her Belle since she is such a beauty?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

It wouldn't really be fair to take away the reward from whoever finds the match, but maybe you could propose it then?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Is the matching rule that she must be found in a different location and not just be in a different set of 4 clips? Could you all clarify the rules for people who don't post as often in the ID section? I have no emotional investment in doing the naming, just unclear about the protocols.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Hi @Snorticus,

yes, matching means that we recognize that a chimp we've seen twice in different situations (can be the same place, but at another time) is the same chimp. Seeing him/her in a longer continuous sequence is not considered as matching as we cannot be sure to recognize that chimp again in a different situation. As I said before, I do not see any harm to name this little lady now, but as an exception from the rule and we need to pay attention to not overlook that it's her if seen again.

Posted

Just to add: e.g. in my mind is this video ACP0005jqz (and ACP0005jr0) as a possible match to her (but I was waiting for something better as @PauDG don't really like this esoteric suggestions 😉 ). Body size, age, and sparse / thin fur on the legs fit. She has a light face, beard, this standing hair on the sideburns (better seen in ACP0005jr0) and bulky, round brows (bulky and round from the side view). Ears undamaged and quite big. Between her muzzle and the rest of the face is quite a curvature that looks like a dent in this video here.

enter image description here

I am just adding it here as I have it on my list since some days and maybe it helps to just award the naming to @Snorticus no matter what.

Posted

Hi all,

Thanks AnLand to clarify the name's rules. Yes, that is exactly how we do. Once we find the same chimp in two different series we do the match and choose the name.

We can wait a little bit to find this female in other serie (I am sure that we will find this beautiful face again 😉 ) to don't break our own rules. But for my is totally fine if we call her "Belle" when we find the match. Do the others agree with this?

I have to admit that back of the chimp in ACP0005jqz is very similar. What do you think about this???

Thank you all

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Thanks for that clarification - In this site we have so few good faces clips it was nice to find more of LSFem 03 that are so close, and what a nice bum and face shot! I agree with you that this is likely a match to her that you found in ACP0005jqz. She also has a small protuberance like a skin tag at the bottom of her swelling that I see in both series.

skin tag

And here in ACP0005js4 (easier to see in the video)

skin tag

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Also @AnLand, I see you've been thinking of her for some time, what were you thinking of for her name? As I said I have no serious desire to name her, just was pleased to see her show up again 😃

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Hi @Snorticus, I am thinking about all our chimps here. I am absolutely ok if you name her, don't worry. My original remark only pointed to the fact that this is not a match as we defined it.

The reason why the matches are so important is not really the naming privilege for individual chimps (that's just the fun part for us), but the counting and with this confirmation (better probably: estimation) of population size. Each chimp that is not matched, but is actually the same chimp leads to overestimation of population size. At the same time each wrong match of two chimps that are actually not the same chimp leads to an underestimation of population size. That is in my understanding the point of the work we are doing here with the matching. (Maybe @PauDG and @MimiA can correct me or add if necessary.)

Posted

Same day as ACP0005jqz (roughly 1.5 hours later). Traveling fast. Older female juvenile. Very light muzzle, bulky brows. Big right ear look like Belle's. (I am just using the name now, ok?) Round belly, sparsely haired legs. Maybe just to take note, but I think that it's her again. ACP0005js2

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0005js2 She is moving very fast, but in stop motion viewing I notice the hair on the inside of her left arm has a very pale and prominent curvy part which looks similar to the same area on LSFem03 in ACP0005jsq. I don't know how common this kind of hair part patterning is on chimp arms.

Inner arm hair parting

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Returning to @AnLand earlier suggestion:
    In ACP0005jqz the pale muzzle protrudes fairly far out in relation to the eye area of the face, and the brow ridge protrudes also and is very pale. The black head hair lays close to the head and grows right down to the protruding pale brow ridge and has a well defined edge.

protruding muzzle

Comparing to ACP0005js3 - LSFem03 also has a pale muzzle that protrudes fairly far out in relation to the eye area of the face, and the brow ridge protrudes also and is very pale. LSFem03 also has black head hair that lays close to the head grows right down to the brow ridge and has a well defined edge. The preview is quite light but the comparative contours of her profile - muzzle and eye area, are visible, as is that well defined border of black head hair ending at the protruding brows.

protruding muzzle also

Posted

Hi all!!!
    I am not sure about ACP0005js2, because the body shape seems the same, but she pass too quickly...

but I am totally convinced about that ACP0005jqz and ACP0005jsq are the same, Belle

Great job and really great descriptions!

Posted