Chimp & See Talk

Bent back & carrying food chimp & Ebony

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0005ot4 I think this first chimp is Ebony. The bent back posture is evident here, he also tends to walk with knees bent, His legs are shorter in relation to his back which is longer, He has a prominant brow ridge that is pale, his muzzle is somewhat flattened in profile, he is carrying food around in his right hand. (I think the white spot on his shoulder here is a leaf, not a permanent scar) This view though may be too indistinct to be accepted for a positive ID of Ebony.
    bent back chimp

ACP0005n26 we see a similar bent back shape here in Ebony, walking with his knees bent, Ebony's legs are shorter in relation to his back which is longer, Ebony has a prominant brow ridge that is pale, his muzzle is somewhat flattened in profile, Ebony seems to prefer carrying food around a lot and in his right hand.
    Ebony bent back

ACP0005ot4 Not great facial profile preview pic, (easier to see in the clip) but shows the pale brow and somewhat flattened muzzle:
    ![profile view]
    (https://static.zooniverse.org/www.chimpandsee.org/subjects/55203a3f69736d72e62d9e02/previews/55203a3f69736d72e62d9e02_5.jpg)

ACP0005n26 Ebony profile view:
    enter image description here

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi @Snorticus,

I had the same idea yesterday and wrote something about it here: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000l/discussions/DCP0000es7. I wrote today another post because the brow ridge in Ebony seems not so protruded in ACP0005n26 as in the other videos. This might be the perspective, I am not sure. I think the hand issue is more than transport as we have now three video where he is moving (once in the lyanas as LSMale09) that cannot be easy without using the right hand.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Yes I saw your post yesterday. I had been thinking that he has a personality quirk about always having food with him, and he carries it in the right hand. He seems to really enjoy his food! Remember how long he sat in that grove and ate and ate? ( #Ebony ACP0005uiy ACP0005uiz ACP0005uiw ACP0005uiv ACP0005uiu ACP0005uit ACP0005uis ACP0005uip ACP0005uio ACP0005uin ACP0005uim ACP0005uil )

I also think that the small round ball shape of the fruit makes it harder to hang on to so the chimps really have to clutch it tightly to avoid dropping it. Just my thoughts so far, can't remember if we ever get a good look at that hand.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all,
    in ACP0005wka he uses the right hand more to bring near the liana than to hold it. In the video ACP0005uil we can see his hand very close to the camera, and there is no fruits.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to PauDG's comment.

Yes, AnLand convinced me yesterday that there is an issue with the hand which is a very valuable clue for the IDing of Ebony. Excellent detective work!

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Exactly, amazing detective AnLand!

Posted