Chimp & See Talk

Citizen Science Project- Chimp & See

• ashmo by ashmo

I am studying the Chimp & See page as a project for school and was hoping my hypothesis could be verified. I have not seen any videos of aggression or mating, and was wondering if anyone had seen any. I have seen much traveling and the use of their hands for performing basic functions- much like humans!

Hypothesis:
    Chimpanzees will exhibit the behavioral patterns of traveling, aggression with one another, mating, and the use of their hands for performing basic functions.

Let me know if my hypothesis deserves any modifications of any kind.

Thanks for your help!

Ashley Moran

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi Ashley,

One way to start could be to look for chimp videos tagged with aggression. You go to a chimp video on talk (anyone) e.g. ACP0006v9s. On the right side of the screen under "Tags" is a button "Create a tag group". Press the button and a screen will open where you can make a group tagged with (you have to click this yourself!!!) keywords: "include chimp" and "include aggression" (just write into the boxes and click the others away with the little cross). Give it a title and a description. Click "Create".

See what you get! There should be some aggression videos with chimps to study.

You can do this with any behavior you want (if other volunteers tagged the behavior!).

Hope that helps!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to ashmo's comment.

Hi, Ashley, and welcome! In addition to @AnLand 's instructions for generating your own queries, you can browse through the keyword collections, if you haven't already. Mating is generally tagged as #sex, and there have been at least 2 chimp mating scenes that I remember: ACP0004216 and ACP0005e8s. There was also this discussion about it that mostly deals with the behavioral cues that lead up to actual mating, but it may be of interest to you.

We have seen a few instances of aggression between chimps, but we've heard a lot off camera, as well. You may also want to use the tag group to look for #chimp #vocalization and see (or rather, hear) what's there. A shortcut would be to go to: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/collections/new/keywords/chimp&vocalization Give that a name & description, click create, and you'll have a collection permanently saved to your profile. Same for chimp & aggression. Just a comment about aggression -- sometimes what seems like aggression to us isn't really aggression to the chimps, and our tags aren't perfect. If you have any videos where you want confirm the situation, feel free to ask. 😃

Good luck with your project! I'd love to hear how it turns out, and how Chimp & See was helpful for you.

Posted