Chimp & See Talk

Chimp Matching from BBCOne

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Our science team mod Erin Wessling who works at Fongoli just sent me this awesome link!

The BBC One has made this gorgeous guide for chimpanzee identification for its new program Dynasties (for which it filmed the Fongoli chimps). There is even a quiz on chimp matching at the end to hone your skills!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1XYlD34lc2hhVtgK2rWZnNc/chimp-id-guide

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Just spotted this post. Many thanks for sharing - it's really interesting and I got 4/5 in the quiz, so perhaps I'm beginning to get the hang of chimp matching at long last !!! Have just settled down to watch Dynasties and am really looking forward to it.

Posted

Enjoy it!!!! I'm super excited to watch it too 😃 and congrats on your chimp matching score! 😄

Posted

• Batfan by Batfan

Thanks! ! Thought the programme was really interesting and I learned several new things about chimp behaviour. Two things that particularly stood out to me was how often Chimps go on two legs, and how many times they use things such as branches and rocks as weapons or props to make them look fiercer. Obviously, I've seen similar instances on other TV programmes (and to some extent on C&S) but I just hadn't realised how frequent those behaviours are.

Posted

Hey @Batfan

That's really cool !!! The extent of bipedalism seems to really very across populations (plus i bet that since it looks so cool on film, you may be seeing that more often if documentaries too 😉 )

Posted