Chimp & See Talk

Female carrying infant

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Video quality is not the best, but at least something is seen: female adult carrying a dorsal infant. Bald, round head, straighter brows. She is rather lean and dark. Rather big swelling. Both ears are present, at least the left one without damage. ACP00072zi

enter image description here

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Does that infant's head and face look really big to anyone else in comparison to it's body - especially it's feet and hands - or is it just my imagination?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0007a94 Hard to see for certain but I think the first mom & infant might be the same as in ACP00072zi above. Both moms are balding dark & lean as AnLand says. The infant is unusual looking as it has an oversized dome shaped head and big pale face and big pale ears that stick out from it's head. They are moving pretty fast to be sure, but that's what I think I see.

Previews not good on ACP0007a94 but this shows mom's balding head, dark slim shape, also the baby's large head.

balding mom & big headed baby

Two views from ACP00072zi showing baby's head, face and large ears on a balding dark mom.

big headed baby and bald mom

Baby kind of looks like a little gnome in these. He has an unusual face.

big headed baby and bald mom

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

s/he is still a very small infant (perhaps 2-3 years old?), and his/her head looks indead very big...but nothing to be worried about πŸ˜ƒ

@Snorticus, about your match proposal, I would rather wait for more opinions...as you say, they are moving too fast to be sure.

Thanks!

Posted

This here is a very similar pair (but a juvenile is following that I did not see before). Maybe all a bit preliminary ... ACP00070gd, ACP00070ge, ACP00070gf (no good view from the juvenile)

Posted

This here is some minutes later - better view from the juvenile, if the same family ACP00070fh

Is this again a termite mound - so that we could expect them to stay here longer? There is at least one more chimp before them.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

That baby's head & face look very like a little "gnome" baby. It seems as if we may have caught many clips of chimps in this area so I think there may be many chances to compare the chimps as we spend more time here - exciting! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

That kid is adorable scampering about in ACP00070gd! πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP00072fs maybe the "gnome" baby with big ears and his Mom again?

gnome headed baby

mom and baby

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

lol @Snorticus I guess you were right about his proportions. Poor little gnome baby. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

He makes me smile every time I see him, ha!
    AnLand, ksigler, do you think he has a younger sibling that is following a lot? I collected some new clips in DL-11 moms & infants and I think we see him in several clips there.

Posted

He is very young and still dependent on his mother, so to have an even younger sibling by the same mother seems unlikely. (not an expert here, just based on what we've seen so far) I think maybe there are just a lot of infants/juveniles in this population that interact freely. I haven't seen the clips of the younger one yet, so please post if you can find them, especially any that show them interacting with the same mother.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to ksigler's comment.

My mistake, upps, meant an older sibling though it doesn't seem a whole lot bigger. Yes, there seem to be quite a few mom & kids here (very entertaining + interesting + educational to watch). I will go back through looking for both interacting with the mom when I get some time tomorrow.

Posted

Okay, gotcha now. Yes, it would be helpful to isolate some clips. We may not be able to tell right away, but then at least we can come back to them as we see more. Thanks! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Hi guys...nice collection πŸ˜ƒ

They all look like DL11Female2 and DL11Infant2 indeed, but actually babys look all very similar, and the video quality is terrible 😦

I will give them different IDs but write an annotation...we can go back to them and wait for more opinions, agree?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Yes, these cameras here seem to have less definition than some of the cameras at other sites.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

This was one of our first sites before we got (before they made?) HD cameras πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to MimiA's comment.

Oh no @MimiA, I didnΒ΄t want to discredit all this fantastic work!!

itΒ΄s fun anyway (despigte the video quality πŸ˜›), and we have a pile of experts here with very good trained eyes!!

Posted