Chimp & See Talk

Brown chimp with odd white mouth

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

@Snorticus discovered this brown chimp with some very light features around the lips - ACP0007a88 ACP0007a89 (in this 2nd video you can see she is a female)

[one]

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0007a88 ACP0007a89 ACP0007a8a Very distinctive brown colored female chimp has whitish lips that look possibly malformed or oddly pigmented - or her teeth are malformed maybe. Big nicely formed pink ears. Prominent brow. Traveling with a juvenile. Wonder what she would look like in a night shot?

From ACP0007a8a, two previews of her odd mouth and brown fur.

brown fur chimp with odd mouth

brown fur chimp with odd mouth

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Wow, she's beautiful! We've seen the lack of pigmentation on the skin on the face, but this is more like a total melanin issue. She's something like a red-head, I suppose. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Yes, She's pretty cool looking!
    I think these are also her, although I guess there could be another brown female chimp.

ACP0007aap and ACP0007aaq on 5-2-2013 This is a brown female kind of slim, with a big swelling, we don't see her face though.

From ACP0007aap:

brown female chimp

ACP0007aas 5-3-2013 The next day, same location, slim brown female chimp with large pink swelling, and we can see a blurry face and the lip seems to have something white on it. Right ear looks rounded, intact, similar to chimp with odd white mouth.

brown female chimp

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Hmm, a second brown chimp of the same age sounds improbable. But, not as much white on the face here. Maybe they were eating something that caused it temporarily? A scientist can will make the call. If she's the same, lucky you -- be thinking about names. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I am going to merge the two threads about the brown chimp in order to not have parallel discussions.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

Thank you, it's late & I have just got to stop looking at all the exciting new things here - if you're just starting your day - enjoy all the new chimp clips and happy hunting πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

Hi @ksigler, @AnLand, @Snorticus,

I think @ksigler is on the right track here and that this is an older chimp who has lost some pigmentation in the face. Sometimes in dry sites where chimpanzees tend to get a lot of sun (or so we assume), over time individuals start to develop these lighter areas on their face. Older indivudals often accumulate many of these areas, which is what appears to happen with this lovely lady here!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to northernlimitptv's comment.

@northernlimitptv - you once sent me a link to some gorgeous fongoli portrait shots with this pigmentation issue, could you post that for the citizen scientists please? πŸ˜„

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

hey, itΒ΄s so interesting!! she is a very good-looking blond chimp πŸ˜ƒ

I am not sure about the match...it is of course not very common to find two brown female chimps of approximately the same age, but the mouth pigmentation makes me doubt. The second and the third one ( ACP0007aap ACP0007aaq ACP0007aas) donΒ΄t look so white in the mouth.

More opinions?

Posted

• Quia by Quia moderator

Regarding the white pigment on the mouth not showing, I can't see any sign of the whiteness until she gets quite close to the camera.. See ACP0007a88, as she's approaching it's not obvious until near the end of the video. So I wouldn't think we'd be able to see much of it when she's passing by in that more distant sequence.

Posted

Do you mean this one @MimiA?

@MimiA do you mean this one?

Posted

A few more....

Posted

Beautiful... πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Quia's comment.

Hi @Quia,
    I checked the videos again and yes, I guess u r right...

Does anyone disagree?

Do we have our first match?? If we all agree then maybe @Snorticus could think of a name πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Looking back at ACP0007a88 and ACP0007a89 I'm wondering if she may have something in her mouth which might change the way she appears here when combined with the light pigmentation around her mouth? I'm happy to wait a bit on the ID as we just got here yesterday - fur color is pretty easy to spot, maybe there is more than one with this coloration!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to northernlimitptv's comment.

What lovely portraits of chimps above, thanks!

Posted

• Bohe by Bohe scientist

That white coloring on the mouth of the brown chimp could also be from eating the fruit of the liana Saba senegalensis.

Posted

So, you are saying here in the pictures @northernlimitptv posted and explained, there is (in certain chimps) a pigmentation problem due to the higher amount of sunlight. That would be my assumption too, based on a more human experience and the pictures shown here where de-pigmentation took place in regions "closer to the sun" like brows and muzzle and not so much in the deeper face regions like the eye socket. We had this awesome chimp Pearl at Crimson Dew 8 who had a serious pigmentation problem (see picture). We first thought about an infection, but her face "status" seemed to be stable for almost 18 month, so maybe, it is only a pigmentation problem. Her face looks different from the pictures posted here and your explanation does not fit her living environment in the forest as I understand it - so you think, one thing (the de-pigmentation of savannah chimps (more sunny) location) is more common and expectable and the other one is an anomaly, right?

enter image description here

Posted

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

Here is more of the brown coloration: ACP0006rqi and ACP0006rqj with a shot of the face from the second video:

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to northernlimitptv's comment.

those are the pics @Northernlimitptv - thanks!!! they are still impressive even though I've seen them before πŸ˜„

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

I agree, I think its a match and the lip coloration may be transient!

Posted

Thanks @MimiA!

@Lauraklynn found her again πŸ˜ƒ ACP0006rqi and ACP0006rqj

sorry @Snorticus, but itΒ΄s all yours...

Posted

@NuriaM, are you wanting me to name her? @Eswiniarski was the one who found her again. I just took the initiative to post the clips here.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

hey @lauraklynn, you are so sweet πŸ˜ƒ

actually I think it should be @Snorticus, as he found the first matches of her...

thanks anyway!

Posted

No problem. @Snorticus can have at it πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I've been really thinking it over the past two days - I'm thinking Roux - (the french color red not the fat & flour gravy starter) - ksigler noted that she kinda looks auburn and I like those short easily typed names that indicate something about them so I can remember them better. Okay with you guys?

(Also - I Snorticus, am a she - it started as my gaming name so the boy-trolls don't bother me for "playing like a girl", ha)

Posted

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Red in french is actually "rouge," but whatever floats your boat πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Yes you are right, I should have said the french term for redhead - roux - sounds like roo - as in:

Marie est une femme mince, Γ©lΓ©gante, aux cheveux roux et bouclΓ©s.
    Mary is a slender woman, elegant, with red curly hair.

I would have just used Roo but that's already the name of the kangaroo in the "Winnie the Poo" books, so I went with the fancy spelling πŸ˜‰

Posted

Roux is a great name. I like it!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I like it too, very nice choice! πŸ˜„

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Named chimp and a French lesson! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Learn something new everyday!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Google is my friend πŸ˜„

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thanks @Snorticus!!

and sorry for the `heΒ΄ mistake πŸ˜ƒ

I love Roux too!!

Posted