Chimp & See Talk

juvenile at termite mound

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

Appears to be a male. The quality isn't very good, but we get a look at his face in ACP00070dl

Sequence continues through ACP00070dm, ACP00070dn, and ACP00070do

It looks like he goes and selects a tool and is about to start fishing for termites

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to lauraklynn's comment.

wow! what a beautiful sequence 😃

he is going to be DL11Juv2 for the moment. About the sex, with juveniles it´s never clear anough...and as you say, the video quality is not the best.

Great find, thanks!!! 😃

Posted

• lauraklynn by lauraklynn moderator

I know we can't tell sex for sure from the video. Just putting my 2 cents in. I'm hoping I get to see more of this sequence, as I would love to see him/her go fishing.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Is Juv2 the same chimp as Juv14? I'm not positive of it, but I see some similarities, and thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else agreed or if we could rule it out. I see the same stocky upper body, dark eyes, large ears, lightness under nose, "mutton chop" style hair around the sides of the face, some sparseness on the legs, and similar rear.

Juv2:

Juv2

Juv2

Juv2

Juv2

Compare to Juv14 in ACP00072fg | ACP00072fh

Juv14

Juv14

Juv14

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

These guys look like a match to me. They also have a fringe of hair at the base of the back of the head. The bottom of the big ears attach rather low on head. Legs somewhat bowed, backs are dark black.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Agreed :}

I think their left ears are in both juvs. quite angular. Their faces look very alike too. Left ears:

one one

Their rears look a bit different to me though...Juv2´s rear looks a bit darker and more robust? but it might be the light/angle as well :S

one one

I `think´ 😄 I support this match.

Posted