Chimp & See Talk

Three handsome males and two juveniles passing

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

ACP00064q2 ACP00064q3 ACP00064q4 ACP00064q5

This seems to be a well-liked passage. First comes a male but the sequence starts too late to clearly see him. In the second video you can hear a faint drumming. That's a promise 😃

enter image description here

In the third video an older juvenile appears, looking back, waiting for his buddies. He's got a high forehead, round brows, pink muzzle and dark fur with maybe some grey strands in it. Left ear is ok. I have the impression he's got a bit a short neck.

Another big male enters the scene very elegantly. He's got a grayish back and a gray crest. His right ear is present and whole, brows quite straigt, lighter colored muzzle:

No 3 of the big males appears. He's got a silver lower back and quite a grey head. But it's hard to tell how much the sun enlightens the fur. I can see his left ear which is undammaged.

At last another juvenile appears just when the video ends:

I haven't had time yet to have a look at the prospective chimps list but I didn't want to withhold the sequence because we haven't had that many male videos yet.

Posted

That was a short list to check with the prospective males. Are those here the first really grown up males at DL11?

Posted

• depuppy3 by depuppy3

Great to see some Males Boleyn. Only a couple have been seen in this area so far.

Posted

Just two minutes later (after the males group) there are even more chimps passing by. ACP00064qa ACP00064qb ACP00064qc

Another male with a silver back, a mother with a dorsal infant and probably two juveniles just disapperaing farther away.

In the second video there's a mom with a rather distinctive swelling and a dorsal infant.

Posted

After checking the prospective chimp list there are two females (which are also proposed as match) that carry their infant this way. DL11Female3 and DL11Female5. The features of the infant can't be seen very well so it would be hard to say if it's the same as DL11Infant3 or DL11Infant4.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I am thinking about her ACP0006v9v that she might be DL11Female3 too - if true: she has a big white spot (might b a scar) on her back. That does not help with these videos though ...

Posted

There is something whitish on her back. You can see it best just after her appearing before she turns to the left.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

I see what you mean, but I am not sure @NuriaM will buy it. We need more videos I think, to make the connection between these females. (Would be cool of course!)

Posted

I'm sure we'll see her around 😃

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Finally more males!!!

about your female @AnLand, I think we are going to need more video to see better. Let´s hope for more videos to come 😃

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I think DLMale4 is DLMale5. They have the same grey back with a sort of tall/narrow black area above the anus. Flat-ish face with white beard and dark lips. Robust with a bit of a tummy. Plus the timing is so close, it seems much less likely that another male with such similar features jumped in right between the videos.

DLMale4 from ACP00064q5:

DLMale5 from ACP00064qa:

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I see similarities between Male4 from ACP00064q5 and Male8 that we talked about in discussion about a pigment issue for Male8 Http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000o/discussions/DCP0000jqu

That clip is fuzzy but compare the slight dip in the middle of the back, very fluffy large arms, big robust torso, and very short neck of Male8 and then Male4:

side view of Male8

ACP00064q5 Side view of Male4

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP0006t07 The faces of Male8 and Male4 have similarities too. Both have somewhat flattened muzzles, light protruding brow ridge, pale coloring around the mouth, recessed eyes which cause them to be shadowed. Head is close to shoulders. Ears are not well seen in Male8, but both chimp's have ears that are large and have a similar shape.
    I also think that Male4 has a light mark under his left nostril as does Male8 which is better seen in the clip.

ACP0006t07 Male8 two views:

Mal8 first view

Male8 second view

ACP00064q5 Compare to Male4:

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Male5 appears to have a light spot under his left nostril also and the same body shape as Male8. I agree that Male4 and Male5 are the same chimp. So my thinking is the Males 5, 4, and 8 are all the same chimp.

ACP00064qa Face of Male5 with light spot under left nostril: ( get out your magnifying glass 😕 )

Male5 spot under nose

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

I was initially hesitant to match Male4 and Male8 because Male8 doesn't have nearly the big belly of Male4, and we can't really see whether Male8 has a grey lower back or not, but looking over the videos again and again, I actually think there is a good potential for a match (I guess Male4 maybe recently had a big meal or something). I'm also quite sure now that Male4 and Male5 are the same -- given the timestamps on the videos, there could be as few as just a couple seconds between the end of ACP00064q5 and the beginning of ACP00064qa, and they really look the same to me.

I also think there might be one other feature in common between Male5 and Male8 -- it looks like there is a small spot on the left shoulder, seen at the beginning of ACP00064qa and in the first few frames of ACP0006t08. But I might just be imagining it, I feel like I'm seeing spots on every chimp!

I have one more male to add to the match proposal: Male6

He's got the same white spot below his left nostril -- ACP0006vaq

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

In terms of the belly - Big belly in ACP00064qa is dated 10-20-2012 and not as big a belly in ACP0006t06 is dated 4-1-2013 - about 5 months later so that could be a factor, or they could be different males, of course.

I do see the spot under the nose of Male6. He has a similar face to the others proposed above - with pale brow ridge, pale around the muzzle and a flattened nose. His head is hunched down into his shoulders like Males 4, 5, and 8 too.
    I don't know how NuriaM will see things though 😃

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

you are amazing!

I absolutely agree that Male4 + 5 + 6 are a match. But of course, as the official killjoy that I am 😛 I´m not so sure about male 8...I think his facial spots are much more marked and his face is rounder (or it might be the angle 😕 )

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I might miss here something, but on what is the match between Male4 (and Male5 - I totally agree here) and Male6 based? From the first, we do not really see face features and from the other one only the face.

I could understand (not necessarily agree!) on the foursome match going from one Male's features to the other, but 4/5 and 6 on their own?

The match between Male6 and 8 has been proposed by me earlier and I still do not see a better one for the white spotted face features. But I see your point that amount of de-pigmentation might not be the same. I think it is and these are only differences caused by light and video quality. But that's only an opinion.

Posted

I saw another video tagged by @AnLand that I'm sure is a match to Male4/Male5 -- ACP0006myg

He's robust, with thicker arms, the same yellow-grey to his lower back and the same tall and narrow dark spot.

Posted

Hi @AnLand,

as for Male 4 + 5 + 6 , I see face similarities:

one one one

I see the same white spot under his left nostril...but I can understand that you might have doubts about male6...

I am absolutely sure that 4 + 5 are a match...maybe we could name him in order to shorten this proposal, what do you think?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

as for your male, I agree that his rear looks like the others...I guess you mean the first male passing by, right?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

I will look again. For Male4 and 5. It is only one minute apart. Until now, we did not consider this as a match. (Time stamps here: ACP00064q2 and here ACP00064qa)

Posted

yes, you are right...I didn´t check the first video of male4 sequence with the time stamp 😦

Posted

I'm not exactly clear on where we all agree/disagree. I think we all now accept that Male4 is Male5. Beyond that, I'm just going to try to put everything together and go from there.

Here's Male4/Male5 again from ACP00064q5 and ACP00064qa

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

He's very robust, with big fluffy arms and somewhat skinnier legs. He has a yellow-grey back with a tall and narrow black patch above his anus. His back is high and rounded, but slopes down toward is rear. His face is flatter and he has a small white beard with darker lip area. He has a white spot below his left nostril. His brows are pretty straight. His left ear is normal.

Male8 from ACP0006t06 ACP0006t07 ACP0006t08

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here

Male8 is fairly robust, with fluffy arms and skinnier legs. His back slopes down toward his rear. He has white spots on his face, though with the sun and maybe some fruit, it's a little hard to tell what's permanent. His brows are straight and his left ear is normal.

Male6 from ACP0006vaq ACP0006var ACP0006vb8 ACP0006vb9 ACP0006vba ACP0006vbb

enter image description here enter image description here

Male6 has a white spot under his left nostril and straight brows. Both ears look normal.

first male from ACP0006myg

This male has a yellow-grey back with a tall and narrow black patch above his anus. His back is rounded and his arms are fluffy.

I'm going to add one more I saw while reviewing the spreadsheet:

the male from ACP00073ya ACP00073yb ACP00073yc ACP00073yd

This male is robust and has a rounded back. His brows are straight and he has a white spot under his left nostril.

Personally, I'm positive the first male from ACP0006myg is a match to Male4/5. I've looked at all the male butt videos and there is only one butt that looks like this ; )

I'm slightly less confident about Male6 and the male from ACP00073ya, but I think they're also a match to Male4/5. I'm the least confident about Male8 because his face looks so splotchy all over, but I'm not ready to exclude him yet.

Posted

hey guys,

male4 and male5 are not a match, but the same male in the same video sequence 😦

A agree with male6 and ACP0006myg being a match to 4/5, but would exclude 8.

as for ACP00073ya ACP00073yb ACP00073yc ACP00073yd , I don´t know why I still didn´t give them an ID 😕

Posted

#DL11Female28 / #DL11Infant23

#DL11Juv18

#DL11Male9

Posted

Please, please, always tell me if you think that I missed something or if you think that a chimp needs a temporary ID (I think I tend to have a fish memory sometimes 😛 )

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

I'm late to this party but it looks like the first adult male (DL11Male3) to enter the video ACP00064q5 may have a scar on his right shoulder. It could be a trick of the light though.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to vestigial's comment.

Hi @vestigial! nice to `read´ you again :]

do you mean this patch on his right shoulder?:

one

if this is what you mean, I think it´s just a bald patch resulting form body motion...look at the next second:

one

or did you see something else?

thanks double-checking :}

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

Nice to be working on this project again! So many chimps have been found and cool animals spotted!

There is a point right before that first picture where the mark on the shoulder looks long and straight. It's in the first second of the video and I can't seem to get a good screen capture of it. It's probably just a bald patch and the way the light is hitting it but I thought I'd mention it so people could be on the lookout for a possible scar in other videos. I see the males have been kind of camera shy at this location. 8-D

Posted

you are right, we didn´t find so many males here...but lots of families instead :S

now I know what you mean...sort of a horizontal patch, right? We will keep it in mind when we search for a match for him :-]

thanks again!!

Posted