Chimp & See Talk

Adult chimp (probably male)

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Very dark adult chimp, I think male. Straight brows, right ear undamaged. Both ears present. Not really much seen. He does not seem to be too big. There are several male chimp of rather medium size and with a straight brow in the prospective chimps list. I cannot decide whether he is one of them. No special trait visible. ACP0006te0

enter image description here

Edit: I've just seen that @Corcaroli found him already. He is joined by an infant in ACP0006te2. Another chimp (adult?) is present.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Hi @AnLand, welcome back!!

what makes you think this is a male? I personally find this one quite tricky 😕

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Not 100% sure whether this one is male or female either, but it's part of a longer sequence of videos from 13:31 to 14:24 on 7/24/2013:

13:31 ACP0006td7 ACP0006td8 ACP0006td9 ACP0006tda 1 adult, I think the male

13:35 ACP0006td3 ACP0006td4 ACP0006td5 ACP0006td6 1 adult, I think the male -- feeding at same hole in mound as previous sequence

13:57 ACP0006tdz ACP0006te0 ACP0006te1 ACP0006te2 1 adult, I think the male -- feeding at slightly different spot in mound. Another chimp behind mound, plus an infant in the 4th video

14:00 ACP0006tdb ACP0006tdc ACP0006tdd ACP0006tde 1 adult male -- starts at same spot as previous sequence, then moves behind mound. Also 1 infant.

14:03 ACP0006tdj ACP0006tdk ACP0006tdl ACP0006tdm 1 adult male, plus 1 infant.

14:14 ACP0006tcn ACP0006tco ACP0006tcp ACP0006tcq 1 adult, looks male to me as he leaves the frame. Also 1 infant.

14:24 ACP0006tcj ACP0006tck ACP0006tcl ACP0006tcm 1 adult female, plus one more individual behind the mound.

It's getting late here, so I hope I haven't made any mistakes, but there's at least one adult male, one adult female, and one infant in this long sequence -- I already talked about the female in the thread about damaged left ears.

Based on the timing and positioning, I would guess the individual from ACP0006te0 is the same male as the one in the videos at 14:00 and 14:03.

Posted

Yes, exactly. And this adult here looks more massive ("fleshy") than the female and is seen with the little one here: ACP0006tdc. It is circumstantial and I did not have to time to look into all the videos from this scene. My take at the moment is that he is male.

The female from @jwidness ( ACP0006tcj ) is rather not part of my longer match (5 + 8 + 14 + 9) as her ear damage is different again and the infant (if it is rather hers - which is probable, but I think not seen) is smaller than the son of DL11Female5.

(All just a gut feeling. I did not look into everything, but that would be my line of investigation at the moment.)

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I updated the post above with more info. I'll also say that I'm sure there are no videos missing from the beginning or the middle of this long sequence, but it's potentially possible that more comes after the last set. My guess (and I think @AnLand agrees) is that there is exactly one adult male (in the videos from 13:31 to 14:14), 1 adult female (in the last set), and 1 infant (from 14:00 on). The infant likely belongs to the female, especially if you think the individual behind the mound in ACP0006tck has too small an ear/head for an adult.

@NuriaM -- could we please get a temp name for the female in ACP0006tcj 😃

Posted

@NuriaM: I call her DL11Female20 as I want to write about her now. Thanks!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Hi guys,

thanks for this... 😃

About you giving the temporary names, I would prefer that I myself do it. You just should wait some hours, that´s all. If I needed some of you helping me with naming because for any reason (I am ill, I won´t be available or something...), I would tell you. If you need to refer to a chimp in your posts and this can´t wait, please allude to it with the video name, and I will arrange it in only some hours.

It´s fine, it´s not a big deal, the only thing is that some posts can be tricky, and I have my own working system to organize them, and if some of you jumps into my routine, it can make things even more complicated for me.

It´s not the case, don´t worry @AnLand, just keep this in mind 😃

Posted

Sorry!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

😉

Posted