Chimp & See Talk

Female with other eating leaves or bark

• depuppy3 by depuppy3

ACP00071q2 ACP00071q3 ACP00071q4 ACP00071q5 ACP00071q6 ACP00071q7 ACP00071q8 ACP00071q9 ACP00071r1

Does this Female showing her back quite clearly have any potential match? I will work to get the best facial of her that I can from this.

Posted

• depuppy3 by depuppy3

The pattern on her back seems to be somewhat distinct

enter image description here

Posted

• depuppy3 by depuppy3

Posted

• depuppy3 by depuppy3

Here ia a good view of her left ear

Posted

• depuppy3 by depuppy3

Here is the right ear

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Thanks @depuppy3!

Her back does look pretty distinctive -- is that a white spot there in the middle just above where the grey ends?

To fill in some of the videos and put them in order (many tagged previously by various users):

ACP00071pa ACP00071pb ACP00071pc ACP00071pd

ACP00071pe ACP00071pf ACP00071pg ACP00071ph

ACP00071q2 ACP00071q3 ACP00071q4 ACP00071q5

ACP00071qu ACP00071qv ACP00071qw ACP00071qx

ACP00071qy ACP00071qz ACP00071r0 ACP00071r1

ACP00071qq ACP00071qr ACP00071qs ACP00071qt

ACP00071qm ACP00071qn ACP00071qo ACP00071qp

ACP00071qi ACP00071qj ACP00071qk ACP00071ql

ACP00071q6 ACP00071q7 ACP00071q8 ACP00071q9

It's quite a long sequence, going from 11:01 to 11:13 on 2/9/2013, but she's mostly just sitting and eating, the kids hardly visible.

Mom has a medium build, grey lower back, a white spot in the middle of the back, very bald, both ears look ok, a large dorsal infant, and medium size juvenile.

She also maybe has a white spot on her left shoulder (could just be the angle though):

What do we think about this family compared to the chimps discussed in the other thread about bald ladies and white spots? http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000o/discussions/DCP0000idc

I think the more I watch dry lake videos, the less sure I am 😕

But she has the same baldness and build, the right size infant and juvenile, and a white spot on the back (which maybe doesn't look the same to me?). Opinions?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

I´m not very confident about these bald ladies...this one looks a bit more hairless than the others (but it might be just the light) and the spot on her back looks different to me too, like smaller and more to the left ?

I´m not sure if we can recognize her if we see her again, but just in case I don´t want to lose her and will give her a temporary ID...DL11Female22

Posted

• depuppy3 by depuppy3

Thank You for filling in the rest of the video jwidness

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

The first pic in this thread shows that DL11Female22 has a silver/grey lower back. So I don't think that she is a match to either of the chimps discussed here:

Bald female with large white spots on her back and a ventral infant

But there are other videos with female chimps carrying dorsal infants with grey backs like this one ACP000692h with the chimp at the right. The infant just jumped from her back a second before (at the left is our discussed bald lady with the white marks).

Another one with silver lower back here: ACP00070fv ACP00070fx
    The pic is not very good, videos are clearer.

Maybe also DL11Female13 might have a grey back but there I'm not so sure. It could be the sun that makes the fur shine:

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Thanks @Boleyn ,

in my opinion, only to use silver backs for identification is a bit risky...it´s no doubt a trait to be taken into account, but just as a supporting argument 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

I'm well aware of that @NuriaM and it was not my intention to propose a match only based on the silver backs.

On one hand I just tried to group the females a bit in order to see which ones could be a match and which ones could for sure be no match.

On the other hand in this case here I actually just wanted to rule out the possibility that the bald ladies could be match to this one here with the silver back as suggested, because the bald females backs are mostly black.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

There are so many clips to keep in mind - sometimes comments about chimp characteristic details cause me to remember other clips where I have seen that trait and I mention it in a discussion - kind of like brainstorming, thinking out loud - gathering clues that might lead to an ID later on, but that are not directly tied to a definite match right now.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

exactly 😃

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Sorry @Boleyn if I misunderstood you, I find this site really tricky and I guess I tend to hasten a bit in my assumptions.

But I know now that the rear/back issue is clear for all of us 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to NuriaM's comment.

I so agree with you @NuriaM about this site being tricky! Are there high definition cameras capturing new images in this location now? So many captures here, it would be great to revisit this area with more detailed images at a later time and see what we could find.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

no harm done @NuriaM and you're right, this site IS tricky!

It's hard work to sort out lots of chimp pics most in low resolution. Is there a plan to revisit these sites at all?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

hey guys,

it would be great, but I´m afraid no, each site is run for 14-17 months.

Posted