Chimp & See Talk

Bow-legged female

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Combing through the spreadsheet, I think I found another female. She's of medium build with skinny legs and a small waist. Her lower back is grey and she either carries her large infant dorsally, or walks along with him/her. She is very bow-legged and has an odd gait. She's never seen with any other infants/juveniles (nor any adults, except once with Roux), nor does she have a swelling in any of these videos.

ACP0006uln

enter image description here

ACP0006vog

ACP0006ovo ACP0006ovp

ACP0006g9m ACP0006g9n ACP0006g9o ACP0006g9p

ACP0006mcz

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

hi @jwidness,

I think what I will do is to give a temporary ID to ACP0006g9m ACP0006g9n ACP0006g9o ACP0006g9p because there is where you can see her peculiar rear and gait better. I would say that ACP0006vog and ACP0006ovo ACP0006ovp are the same lady, but I have doubst about ACP0006uln and ACP0006mcz , but my only reason is that I can´t see how she walks...legs and waist look same thin though 😕

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

#DL11Female29 . I assumed that she walks with or carries an infant, but s/he is in that controversial line between infant and juvenile 😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

If this is still up for discussion, I agree with all of the clips mentioned here being the same mother & juvenile. In addition to the mother's thin lower body and bowed legs, I see a bald head with rounded protruding muzzle and unusually large light-colored ears (at least on the left). Where the juvenile is present, s/he is less distinctive, but also appears the same in body shape, rear end appearance, and size.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

I agree with you @ksigler, she is (or they are) a very peculiar female, and I guess she/they deserves/deserve a bit more attention :}

Female29/Infant24, ACP0006vog and ACP0006ovo / ACP0006ovp are very likely to be a match to me: I see the very distinctive gait in all of them.

ACP0006mcz , I really have no strong arguments against her being a match, it´s just that I think her rear looks a bit more upright, but I can´t see it properly in only one second.

ACP0006uln ´s legs and waist look very similar too, but I have the feeling that she is a bit more robust...

thoughts?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

I see what you mean about ACP0006mcz, but I think it's just the angle or maybe the terrain that makes her rear look more upright. The head shape, ear, and lower back appearance were convincing for me.

I also see where ACP0006uln may look more robust, but I think it's the video quality and angle (first time we've seen her head-on, I think?). Or maybe she's been eating well. 😃 Right before she leaves the screen, I see the same thin hips and legs. And I think that large light pink ear is what convinced me the most in that clip.

Posted

good morning @ksigler, I think you are right about the ear...I was more watching the rears and didn´t pay attention to the ears. But I see your point.

I would love to read more opinions, . If there are more people supporting ACP0006mcz and ACP0006uln, I guess we should be thinking of a new match here (finally :})

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I do not really have an opinion about this matching proposal, but I had just this video ACP0007aap for classification and the female with the dorsal infant in the beginning seems to be bow-legged and has a gray lower back as well as the described skinny legs and hips. Unfortunately, again no face view.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

I didn't include the female from ACP0007aap because I thought that she didn't seem to have the same gait as the bow-legged female, and also I think her infant is too small. I was actually thinking the female from ACP0007aap might be a match to the yellow-backed female from ACP00071pz. Comparing infant sizes, the infants in both ACP0007aap (5/2/2013) and ACP00071pz (2/9/2013) are small enough that their knees form 90 degree (or larger) angles, while the bow-legged female's infant in ACP0006vog (4/30/2013) shows a tight ~45 degree angle at the knees. I think the infant in ACP00071pz seems a bit smaller than the infant from ACP0007aap because s/he is riding all the way forward on mom's back (and also is 3 months younger).

Posted

I agree that ACP0007aap´s gait looks different, and I still support the former match proposal: Female29/Infant24, ACP0006vog and ACP0006ovo / ACP0006ovp.

I have my doubts about ACP0006mcz and ACP0006uln, but as I already said, I have no strong arguments and @ksigler´s point of view made me double-check it... 😕

Posted

No, problem. I have been thinking about the size of the infant too (more than about the gait, I have to admit), but could not come to a conclusion and thought, I just post. Maybe someone else has an idea about it. The suggestion with ACP00071pz looks promising, but again without a face view. 😕

Posted

I think this is the bow-legged female again: ACP0006ep6

Extremely large infant, grey lower back, tiny hips, skinny legs. She's also got a very angular chin when seen in profile.

Compare:

Posted

agreed and added to the POTENTIAL MATCHES WITHOUT FACE VIEWS post (POTENTIAL MATCH 3).

Thanks!!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Checking in on this female... in early January, we were ready to call it a match of Female29/Infant24, ACP0006vog and ACP0006ovo / ACP0006ovp. Then it was added to the potentials without face views list (#3). Now that all the clips of DL11 have been seen, are we closer to saying that at least the ones we agreed on before are a match for each other and not anyone else?

Posted

Sorry I lost track of them for a while!

we can name the ones we agreed on if you like: Female29/Infant24, ACP0006vog and ACP0006ovo / ACP0006ovp

@jwidness started this discussion...

Posted

Can I suggest Trisha for the mom and Al for the infant?

Posted

Great name for Trisha! (But didn't we say the infants are named later? Raminta's infant got on the list: http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000o/discussions/DCP0000qdw, why not this one? I do not have any stake here, but we should be consistent.)

Posted

Sorry, I didn't understand that to apply retroactively (as ksigler pointed out, the match dates to January). If that's the case, I'll have to think of another name for the mom, since the names are a pair.

Posted

sorry, @AnLand is right, we decided to leave the infants apart a while... 😦

are you sure you don´t want to call her Trisha?

Posted