Chimp & See Talk

Juvenile or male?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP00071lu Brief, but I think I can just see testicles possibly, not sure. I had first thought this was a juvenile. Has really big round nostrils, pale prominent brow line, right ear intact. We hear (but never see) more than one chimp vocalizing later in this set, ACP00071lw ACP00071lx

ACP00071lu (preview 1)

big nostril chimp

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Thanks for pointing out this video -- I'm sure I've seen this guy before! (Hopefully others will agree with me ;P)

I think he's DLMale2 from ACP0007eag:

enter image description here

He's smaller, dark body hair, paler and smooth-looking muzzle, bald-ish spot right in the center of his forehead, and a bright spot in the middle of his scrotum (not seen in the preview for this "new" male, but visible on Male2).

enter image description here

(Edit: yes, most males have a lighter spot on the scrotum where the penis is, but his I see as circular and very bright against the darker hair next to it. Compare, for example, to Male7, who has a more linear light area, and the surrounding hair is not as dark.)

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

Agree to the match proposed by @jwidness. How did we luck out and get 2 sequences with similar lighting? I see the same face shape & coloration, body size/shape/condition, bald spot, small ears set very far back, and yes, lightness at penis (though I wonder if this is fixed or fluctuating thing).

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Absolutely!!

I agree with your match, I think he´s a young male, and all the traits you guys mention match. I thought I saw a small white spot on Male2´s upper lip when he looks upwards, but I guess it´s just the light because. then I can´t see it again when he looks to the camera direction (sec.03).

If someone disagrees, I will give him an ID, but if not, someone could give him a name 😃

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Can I suggest Marty?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

I love it!!!

Thanks @jwidness ... Marty is a lovely name, like Marty Maraschino from Grease (a must-see 😃 )

Posted