Chimp & See Talk

Rai-- Adult male with pigmentation problem

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

As @MingMing is gone without posting her great find, I do it on behalf of her/him.

He/she found a big group of chimps (I post here only one). ACP0007kgp, ACP0007kgr, ACP0007kgs

Leading is a male with an interesting and probably unique face pigmentation (see picture). Right ear seems to be OK, left one might not be (not sure). Broad face with slightly rounded brows. Gray back (not clear how gray in the black and white footage - but very different to the rest).

enter image description here

He has been found before by @Eswiniarski ACP0007icr

Looks like a match to me at least.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

wow!!! so amazing, I love it, it like David Bowie with the thunderbolt painted in the face...

we have our first match in Dawn Bird.
    Name for this first male??? 😉

Posted

• MingMing by MingMing

http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/subjects/ACP0007icp

Here he is again. Together with the younger chimp.

Posted

• MingMing by MingMing

May I propose 'Rai' as a name? It means thunderbolt in Japanese 😃

Posted

Great name, gently nudged by @PauDG, but with a very personal touch! Love it.

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

What a great name and inspiration and a very nice collaborative find betwen @MingMing, @AnLand and @Eswiniarski!

Posted

I like it!!!

Thanks a lot @MingMing, @AnLand and @Eswiniarski, and very welcome Rai

Posted

@Dana23 and @Snorticus found this series of video with multiple chimps. ACP0007gw5, ACP0007gw8, ACP0007gwb

I suggest that the male sitting next to the tree and looking in the camera direction is Rai. The white illumination at the leftern brow is too much for just reflection. The muzzle is barely seen, but seem to have white spots too (several chimps seem to have pigmentation disturbances here at Dawn Bird). The gray back - when he is getting up and leaving in the second and third video, is consistent. So is body build, face form and seemingly undamaged ears.

Posted

I also think is him 😉

Posted

This is Rai again: ACP0007u6u

Posted

Great! thanks AnLand 😉

Posted

Had this (again) for classification and still think it might be Rai. Any opinions? ACP0007h6v

Posted

quite difficult, but I think I can see the pigmentation in the forehead. I would say yes 😉

More opinions...?

Posted

I've seen this morning in @NuriaM's tagging this handsome guy in ACP0007p0m and noticed his damaged left ear. There is quite a big cut in it. While thinking and looking who else has a cut in his ear, I strangely ended up with Rai who has the same cut that is at least very well seen in ACP0007kgp.The general features like the round eyes, straighter brows, flat and bald head, gray back and some darker area at the butt are consistent. So, what do we think that Rai does look like in the color mode? My imagination says that I see the depigmentation at the brow and the muzzle. At least a bit.

Edit: problematic - besides determination of the depigmentation - might be that he looks a bit more robust in that video. I cannot really say whether that's an aspect of camera perspective.

Posted

This nightchimp in ACP00082pg could be Rai too - there is this irregular pigmentation and the left ear looks damaged. (I am more convinced about him than about the other one).

Posted

Hello AnLand,

I also feel more confident about ACP00082pg than ACP0007p0m.

It is true that we don't have good color images from Rai, but the irregular pigmentation it is more visible ( ACP0007gw5), right?

Who else could be ACP0007p0m??

Thanks!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

yipeehh...finally a face that fits this back here ACP0007jpa !

@Anland just posted this yesterday here and I'm having all these DB Males up for comparison since a long time, but haven't come across ACP0007p0m

There are two males with the same irregular testies (the left one's hanging higher as the right). In @AnLands post we shortly discussed the different gray back coloration. Now I'm quite sure that your guy above in the color video is the same as the one in the b/w video. I'm talking about the last to appear on the left.

I will try to make a better screenshot for comparison tonight.

Posted

I'm not 100% sure yet but like to post these two screenshots just in order to not forget them. I'll look more into it also to find some more similar traits but I need some more time 😃
    It will probably be the best to open up a new thread for this.

Posted

I think I see the gray part different... the one from the b/w video has the middle part going up, and the one from ACP0007p0m is just the opposite, don't you think?

Maybe it is time to add ACP0007p0m to the list. He will be DBMale05

Posted

ok, I agree Paula, DBMale05 is neither of these two guys here in b/w. I think I know now who they are.

I will come up with comparisons in new threads. Going through all the males at DawnBird brought some interesting things up (at least I think they are 😃)

Posted

Thanks Boleyn 😃

Posted