Chimp & See Talk

Nakula/DBJuv03b/DBJuv03--Eating juvenile at the same place in three sequences

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

The three sequences in my opinion show all the same juvenile:

ACP00083qa ACP00083qd ACP00083qh ACP00083qk

ACP00083qc ACP00083qg ACP00083qj ACP00083qm

ACP00083qf ACP00083ql ACP00083qn ACP00083qo which is DBJuv03b

As @AnLand pointed out in the discussion ACP00083qh he has a bald spot at the left hip:

enter image description here

you can see the same spot in video ACP00083qn

The juvenile in ACP00083qc has thin hair on the right hip.

Since DBJuv03b is not yet described, I'll give it a try here:
    He's got a regular face, with nice rounded brows, bright muzzle with a white beard at the chin and a darker mask around the eyes. The ears are both round, the nose is quite flat. He seems to have some thinner parts of hair at the sides and the back. No baldness on the forehead. Oh and he's constantly eating 😄

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

I agree, @Boleyn. He has a clear, unique face, body shape and hair pattern. One thing bugging me... Between the sequences, there is only slightly different lighting and the position of a leaf here and there, and the subject IDs are almost in a straight line. This may be one continuous scene separated by a few minutes. Without timestamps, though, it's hard to tell. Unless someone sees something that clearly indicates a longer time period has passed?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

thanks @ksigler! Well it's not exactly a matching attempt it's more that I wanted to sort out all the videos and bring them in sequence in order to have him assigned to DBJuv03b 😃

May I ask you to move this thread to the discussion area so @PauDG does not miss out on it? Thanks a lot!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

(moved this discussion from chat to science! )

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all!!
    I think they are the same also, and according the list they are not consecutive, so I think we have a match.

BUT!!!...
    now I am confuse with DBJuv02b (who was ID as Vili) and these new. They are all the same??? Juveniles are so difficult...
    What do you think??

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Thanks for the description!!

Posted

@PauDG I don't know about DBJuv02b I can't find him in the known/prospective list?

What I am sure about is that Vili and DBJuv03b are not the same chimp.

DBJuv03b 's right ear is different. The fold in the ear is higher up than Vili's and the ears look genereally smaller. An even bigger difference I see in their noses. Vili's dark mask includes the nose. DBJuv03b 's mask is brighter and does not include the nose. Also does his nose looks much flatter than Vili's. And last Vili has bushier hair all over the body especially also at the sideburns. If we compare them directly you can easily see the distinctions 😃

This is Vili:

This is DBJuv03b

Posted

Thanks @Boleyn !
    here the videos from DBJuv02b

ACP00083z4 / ACP00083z7 / ACP00083zb

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

Thank you for the links. I think too DBJuv02b is Vili. The best stillshot of this series shows a dark nose and the same ear as Vili's.It has also these bushy sideburns. Since it was already considered to be Vili I would sign that too 😃

Posted

great @Boleyn, thank you very very much, that was super useful!!

Posted

So in this thread you proposed this two sequences:

as a match with DBJuv03b, that I agree

But in this thread http://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000p/discussions/DCP0000qyo, we were talking about the match between DBJuv03 and DBJuv03b.

Do you think they are all the same?

Thanks a lot.

Posted

oh sure, yes sorry I haven't seen the entry in the other thread.

Yes I am absolutely positive that DBJuv03 and DBJuv03b are the same chimp. I don't find a good stillshot at ACP00083ql but when you compare the videos ACP00083tq there's no doubt. Same features, same patterns, same behaviour, same place = same same (as Thai people say) 😃

Posted

Thanks @Boleyn!

do you agree if we ask @Snorticus to select the name to this chimp DBJuv03 / DBJuv03b / ACP00083qa / ACP00083qc ?

Was Snorticus the first answering to the proposal between DBJuv03 and DBJuv03b, although you proposed the match between DBJuv03b / ACP00083qa / ACP00083qc parallel...

I am waiting for you to name this one name?(DBFem08/DBFem08b&inf)--Female with small kid and swelling 😉

Thank you very much!!

Posted

Hi AnLand, I had also doubts, specially between DBJuv02b and DBJuv03/3b, but in the first page of this conversation @Boleyn helped me. Take a look to that and let us know what do you think.

Thanks a lot!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Sorry, I will delete my remark. It has not been about DBJuv02b, but about Vili and DBJuv03 and DBJuv03b.

Posted

Hi @PauDG would you mind if I named this Juvenile chimp here since I put a lot of efforts into that match? I already have a nice name ready for this little-big eater 😃

In return I would pass the naming rights on DBFemale08 to somebody else, since I did not have much to do with DBFem08 other than confirming the proposal. Actually I think @AnLand should select somebody, e.g. somebody who had not the chance to name a chimp yet but is very active in classifying etc., if that is ok with you? Thanks a lot!!

Posted

No problem for me @Boleyn, we can leave the name of DBFemale08 to @Snorticus if she/he agrees. (Sorry, I tried to find you in the "presentation" thread but I could not, and I don't remember if Snorticus is she or he... 😕 )

Just let's wait i little bit for Snoticus answer, I want everyone happy here.

Thanks for your help and thanks for your understanding 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I am fine with @Boleyn naming this juvenile as she worked hard & seems to really like this busy chimp!

I'm also fine with @AnLand naming DBFemale08 as I wasn't in on that and she made that match.

Thank you for including me though, @PauDG I have my eye on a couple of other chimps that we are trying to sort out and will speak up to name them if we can get them identified. I sent you a DM with my thoughts on this as the site was down earlier.

#female - @Snorticus - I am a she, it's hard to tell from that name, I know 😉

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

hahaha - Gender-ambiguous usernames unite!

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to vestigial's comment.

ahaha, I think that from now i will refer to all of you as "ladies". I have no idea about the real proportion, but I have the feeling that 99% of us are women. 😉

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Thanks a lot @Snorticus !

@Boleyn, looking forward to know the name you have to this juvenile.

Many thanks!

Posted

Thank you ladies @Snorticus and @PauDG I really appreciate!!

Now my little gourmand shall be named "Nakula" which means "I eat" in Swahili 😃

Another gender-ambiguous name at chimpandsee! 😉 Hope you like!

Posted

Great!!

I really like it the names with a meaning.

Thanks a lot

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

That name is perfect!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Nakula - nice!

Posted

Do you speak swahili @Boleyn??? that is awesome

Posted

Paula I've just seen your comment now. No way, me speaking Swahili - but Mr. Google found me a nice translator 😄

ok, back to business:
    In the spreadsheet a sequence following confirmed Nakula videos contain also Nakula. ACP00083s9 ACP00083sa ACP00083sb ACP00083sc and in the second one we can finally see that it is a boy! 😃 There's no still of it but well seen in the clip.
    I haven't tagged them yet and I will remove my comment as soon as you've done so, ok?

Edit: more after this sequence: ACP00083vw ACP00083vy ACP00083w0 ACP00083w3 ACP00083vo ACP00083vs ACP00083vt ACP00083w3

Posted

Immediately following the color sequence there are some more of an eating juvenile in b/w with the same date . ACP00083s2 ACP00083s3 ACP00083s5 ACP00083s7 ACP00083wg and ACP00083wj at the very left.

I think this is still Nakula. In ACP00083s2 we can see the face with the bright mask (as mostly better seen in clip):

Even better seen in ACP00083wg the face as well as his round belly and protruding tuft which let me first think it was a girl.

Posted

Hello!!

the color videos I agree is Nakula. The b/w are more difficult I looks like him (great that!)
    there are few videos pending to fill the gap and have the whole sequence. We will be more secure then 😉

Many many thanks!

Posted

These 4 videos are the sequel to confirmed Nakula clips: ACP00083ud ACP00083uf ACP00083uh ACP00083uj
    Somebody already noted "Kakula?" in the spreadsheet for three of those clips. 😄

Posted

Good! thanks Boleyn

Posted