Chimp & See Talk

Emerald--Adult chimp with broad muzzle

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

This might be a long shot, but I think that this adult chimp (sex unclear) has a strange face form. Very big, broad, and protruded muzzle, but short face (short eye area). It's quite bald with straigth brows, and a flat head. Not much more to see.

ACP0007omw

enter image description here

ACP0007rsr

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hello AnLand, thanks for the proposal!

She/he has a scar or something on the right upper lip? I agree that they can be the same.

I am going to add them as:

More opinions?? what do the others think?

Thanks everyone!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

They might be the same but from this distance it's a bit hard to say.

This chimp around seconds 5 - 7 in video ACP0007v91 seems to have a rather large/broad muzzle as well and s/he is almost completely bald. Straight brows as well and a fleshy nose and large ears as seen in the other pics. Also no infant to be seen as in the above videos. I think it's a female because she walks together with a group of females and juveniles and the built is quite slender. No really good still shots. Maybe this screenshot I made sheds a little light on that individual.

Edit: ok still 5 is not so bad:

Note the ear shape in still pic 7. It seems to have more than just a nick:

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Hello Bolyen!
    thanks for your post.

I doubt, is very bald too, but I don't see the same protruded muzzle. Maybe is because is passing very fast...

I find the ear quite round and undamaged, did you refer to the edge?

Thanks!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

yes I think it's mainly the edge that looks odd. S/he's got big ears, no doubt, but I think it looks like a cut and the lower part is somehow curled. I'm not able to do a better screenshot but it can be seen clearly but very shortly when s/he's close to the camera.

Posted

And @Boleyn, do you agree with the match proposal between DBUnclear03 and DBUnclear03b, right?

because maybe we can add her/him to the known list and then try to figure out if ACP0007v91 is the same or not.

@AnLand, what do you think about that one, ACP0007v91?

Thanks all!

Posted

About ACP0007v91 - the chimp is traveling fast and I have troubles to get a good view even outside the screenshots. I basically agree that the muzzle also seems to be broader, but not so long and protruded out of the face. Hard to say, sorry.

Posted

Thanks AnLand 😉

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

I think the problem here is the angle. We see this chimp once from a little above in ACP0007omw, once a little from below in ACP0007rsr but from far away and once straigth on and close in ACP0007v91 The muzzle seems to be more protruded in the first two but I think this has to do with the perspective. It probably is the same chimp in all three videos but I'm fine with your proposal to match only the first two, no problem 😃

Posted

let's give a name to DBUnclear03 and DBUnclear03b, and then we continue talking about ACP0007v91.

AnLand, would you like to select a name for this chimp? Thanks a lot

Posted

Thank you very much! I would like to name this chimp Emerald.

Posted

Perfect! thanks a lot 😉

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

How very apt, @AnLand! Love it 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Emerald is lovely!

Posted

ahhhhhhh, is because of the video colour, isn't it?

I didn't get it before 😉

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

aaaah now I got it too 😃 thought long time about it ...

Posted

😃

Posted