Chimp & See Talk

Zawadi--DBJuv01 match proposal

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Lately I tried to compare some of the juveniles here at Dawnbird. And I think I finally got a match to DBJuv01 which looks like this in video ACP00080i1:

enter image description here

In video ACP0007rj7 I found this teenage chimp here:

He's got the same wide face, straight browline, bright muzzle, dark mask including the nose, round right ear and a brigther chest like DBJuv01. Also size and built fit. For those two I'd like to propose a match.

Posted

Further on I like to add to daylight videos to the post. Somehow I think this could be the same juvenile but you know how it is with day and b/w comparison. Nevertheless I would like to put those up for discussion for I think they also have the same traits as DBJuv01. None of those two has a temporary ID.

Video ACP00081ij

Video ACP0007kdk

If you don't think they are a match to DBJuv01 I would still suggest that they are a match between each other in videos ACP0007kdk and ACP00081ij

Posted

This could actually also be the same juvenile, It's the one with temporary ID DBJuv08 and the female in the back reminds me of Anja and her rather long legged infant, which would also fit since DBJuv01 is considered to be Anja's older kid.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Thanks Boleyn!

As you say, day and b/w videos look very different..

But maybe we can choose a name already for DBJuv01/ACP0007rj7 and keep talking about the rest. Would you like to select a name?

More opinions about these proposals?

Thanks a lot!

Posted

Thank you @PauDG! I would like to name him/her Zawadi. This name means star in Swahili and is used for boys and girls.

The night pics here at Dawnbird actually seem to be easier to match, because some of the traits can be seen clearer in black and white. As I said I'm not very sure about the color videos either and we still have no idea how many juveniles are around. It's like with the females: many of them look quite similar and probably their offspring do too 😃

Posted

great, i like it!

hope we can identify more juveniles soon 😉

thanks a lot!!

Posted

haha, my pleasure - completley! 😄

Posted

😉

I am going to add the others to the prospective list too.

Posted

To me the juvenile in ACP0007zxv and ACP0007zy1 looks very much like Zawadi. Same pale muzzle, dark mask including the flat nose and straight browline. And it's the same intense stare at the camera 😃

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Hi Boleyn, I agree with you, looks like Zawadi 😉

Posted

HI @Boleyn, did you post something here? I can see a notice saying "Last post 2 days ago by Boleyn" but then I can not see your post.

Thanks

Posted

Hi Paula, thanks for asking. I did post another possible Zawadi video but then I wasn't sure anymore and deleted it again. Sorry to have bottered you. Maybe I'm coming up later with more proposals since I'm trying to clean up all my collections 😃

Posted

no problem at all, and your comments will be very welcome! I need also to re-check the list from this site, so your comments will help me to do it.

See you soon around Dawn Bird 😉

Posted

There are still so many videos with unidentfied chimps in them - still a lot to do! 😃

ok, I think this is Zawadi again in this sequence: ACP0007kgp and ACP0007kgq. Face and fur are consistent and there's again the intensive stare. What do you think?

Posted

Hello Boleyn,

I think is Zawadi too, but checking the videos I see that has like a lighter part in the right part of the mouth, just below the nose... I think that is present in the other Zawadi videos too.

I am trying to find something specific that helps us to ID Zawadi in the color videos.

What do you think?

Thanks a lot!

Posted

Hi Paula, I think in the last (the newest videos) Zawadi carries something in the mouth, maybe food? Could be something that waits for wadging? Unfortunately I can't seem to find a particular trait that is very unique. But I will look into it later, ok?

Posted

And yet another Match proposal to Zawadi - and in color 😃 . He "jumped" at me while scanning through the known chimps list in a the stills about Elphi. ACP0007s48

I think he's a real modern young chimp - making selfies whenever possible 😄

Posted

sorry Paula, may I bring this back to your attention? You asked for a color video of Zawadi and maybe this is one (s. above)?

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

Hi Boleyn, sorry I forgot to answer that thread. Thanks for the reminder 😃

Has this juvenile a cut in the right ear?? Here a picture, but is more visible in the video.

one

Does Zawadi a cut in the right ear? Have you seen any juvenile with a cut in the right ear??
    What do you think?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

I cannot really see a cut. The right ear looks a bit smaller maybe, but I cannot see a cut in the sense that there is a gap between two parts that should be connected. Where do you see it exactly? In the lower, mid, or upper part of the ear?

Posted

It is like a notch, like a bite, in the upper part

one

one

Posted

I'm not sure if this is a notch. It could also be some fur standing up.

What I know is that Zawadi seems to have a nice intact ear 😃

In stillshot 8 of the above video you can actually see that his fur is in a mess. But except for this I think he looks very much like Zawadi, same pale muzzle excluding the nose, straigth brows, size and camera reaction.

Posted

Oh yes, could be just crazy hair standing up behind the ear 😕

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I agree with @Boleyn, looks like some hair/fur. Earlier when the juvenile is turning the head to the left and we see the right ear better (but also farther away), there is also nothing seen.

Posted

ok. Thanks

AnLand, do you agree the match that @Boleyn proposed between ACP0007s48 and Zawadi? I do

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

There are many videos in these thread that are not confirmed, right? I am having a some troubles to sort them. But I definitely agree that ACP0007s48 is the same chimp as the one in ACP0007rj7 (confirmed as Zawadi).

I need to look into all other posted videos during the weekend.

Posted

great, thanks AnLand 😄

Posted