Chimp & See Talk

Matching proposal for untagged male

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

There is still my collection of DB Males and I found a male with no temp ID yet. What do you think about those two males from Dawnbird beeing one and the same?

He's got almost straight, bright brows a little wider at the root of the nose, the mask is darker than the muzzle, high-set small nose, the ears are bright and round with no obvious damage. His crest is wide and almost bald. The middle and lower back are grey, the legs and belly also grey but a bit less than the back. He's not the most handsome fellow but he's got balls 😃

The bright muzzle might be also due to pigmentation but I don't think that he's a match to all the DBMale02-guys.

From ACP0007icm

enter image description here

Chimp in ACP0007jpa (and ACP0007jp8)

Looking forward to your opinions. Thanks.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hm, I definitely see the same traits, but these are also seen in others, I have to admit. (E.g., if you take DBMale03 and transform him in a black-and-white footage, I am sure it would look very similar with the broad head and muzzle, straight brows, baldness, and gray back.) So, he might be the same, but nothing really sticks out and the guy in ACP0007icm is really fast.

And ACP0007jpa shows you that there are other males with gray backs in the community (your "twins" here). Tja.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Thanks for your statement @AnLand.

As suggested I changed DBMale03 in a b/w pic, but I'm not sure. He looks somehow different. The chimp above has black shoulders and a grey back. DBMale03 has a somewhat gray back but I can't see such a sharp color distinction. Shouldn't we see it despite of the sun?

His attitude, gait and face do look different to me. I captured him at about the same position as ACP0007jpa. The only thing that looks quite the same is the irregularity in the middle of the brow.

DBMale03

The "twins" are in the same video as ACP0007jpa and therefore it's certainly none of them. We know that also other chimps have gray backs, e.g. Rai.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi @Boleyn, I did not mean that literally, but cool. Thanks! Especially in your second picture, slightly from the side, you see the same features (ears, brows, flat forehead, body build). And keep in mind that the algorithms for changing the colors of pixels in a computer program might not be the same as with the recording camera that translates "reality". If the brows and ears would be any lighter displayed they would appear more prominent.

I actually do not go for a match here. I just cannot really see something distinct that rules out the others. The twin argument is even that: they also have a gray back, but we do not see anything from their faces. They could easily be the guy from ACP0007icm or DBMale03. In general I think that they are a bit slimmer build than your males here and DBMale03.

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all!
    Thanks for your posts.

I want to look more in detail the males DBMales02x, I am not that sure that those ones could not be one of the males in the chimp list...

Posted