Chimp & See Talk

DBJuv14-- Zawadi or Nakula or yet another juvenile?

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

This older juvenile looks like a mixture of Zawadi and Nakula to me. The nose seems to be to small to be Zawadi and not bright enough to be Nakula.
    At least we can cleary see it's a boy 😃

Any thoughts about him?

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

(Moved to DB board.)

Good clip! I see a stronger resemblance to Nakula, but as you said, this one is clearly male. Nakula is not so obvious (Zawadi either), so I'm inclined to say they are different chimps. Not sure, though...

I also see a slightly darker face mask, including the nose, average sized ears (maybe pointy at the top?), and some prominent bare strips on the inner arms. It seems to be in the age range as Juvs 08, 09, 10... still somewhat young, but independent.

Posted

After looking a little more for this juvenile I found some more clips of him in the spreadsheet.
    Including this one here (ACP00081iq) there are three more: ACP00081h9 ACP00081hq ACP00081ht

I don't know how much the videos are apart but I think not a lot of time. The date in the spradsheet is the same.

I compared his backside with Nakula's and I'm now even more convinced that this is a new juvenile.

New guy from ACP00081iq The testicles are clearly visible and in ACP00081ht we can see that he's got a small pointy tuft (better seen in video):

enter image description here

Nakula's backside from ACP00083qv The more I look at those videos from Nakula the more I think that it actually could be a girl. This looks like a beginning of a swelling to me or am I mistaken?

Edit: Nakula is definitely a boy, please look here on page 3: Nakula's thread

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all,

I find him more similar to DBJuv10, because of the round eyebrows and light face color, but I don't feel confident enough....

For now he is in the list as DBJuv14

Posted

hmm...it's always a bit more difficult to compare them in colour and b/w, but it is a possibility, yes.

DBJuv14

DBJuv10

Posted

Thanks Boleyn!

Anyone else want to comment?

Posted

Hi all,

anyone wants to give an opinion about this potential match?

Many thanks

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

I don't think these are the same chimp. The faces do look similar, but I see at least 2 differences: DBJuv14 has very conspicuous testicles and ears that both curve forward near the top. DBJuv10 doesn't appear to have testicles, at least of that size, and has flatter ears.

DBJuv14

Curved ear and testicles seen in ACP00081hq

Juv14

DBJuv10

Flatter ear, no visible testicles in ACP0007tns

Juv10

Posted

😦

Thanks ksigler 😉

Posted