Chimp & See Talk

RSMale09--Male with round head**

• hoothoot by hoothoot

Found in ACP000buie ACP000buif ACP000buig

He has a dark face, a small triangular bald spot on the forehead and a very round head, which almost appears to have a small sagittal crest. The ears appear small and close to the head. Brows are straight and not very protruding. All that together with his stern expression made me (as well as @Dana23) think of a gorilla 😄. Despite his silverback appearance his back is only slightly gray.

His gait also looks distinctive to me; it looks like a swing from left to right in slow motion.

enter image description here

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

Added as RSMale09.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Not to exclude a possible match with a known male, but I think the male from ACP000c4gq ACP000c4gr ACP000c4gs looks like RSMale09. Robust, dark face, big muzzle, straight brow, triangular bald spot, lightly grey back and legs. Tagged by @tina_pixie_ @ksigler @ZuccheroFan @sydself @Snorticus

Posted

Oooh yeah that could be! I wish we could get a better look at him walking away in this sequence because RSMale09 has such a distinctive gait. Seems promising, though. Does anyone else want to weigh in on this one?

Posted

Just want to revisit this one and see whether anyone else would like to weigh in on whether @jwidness found a match above.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Looks like a match to me! We can see him walk away in ACP000c4gs. Don't know if this is enough for determining on the gait but the butt definitely looks the same, and the backside has this slightly brighter hair.

Posted

From the above, it appears that these are two independent "sightings" and that he is a new, unconfirmed male. If so, we can look for a name for this impressive fellow. But if anyone has any inkling that the chimp(s) above might be among the known ones, please chime in. 😃

Posted

This guy hasn't been discussed in ages so it's about time we took another look. I have given a temp ID to the male in the second sequence (added by @jwidness): RSMale09b. I still support this match and therefore naming him, but I want to make sure others agree!

Posted

I'm still in on it with this guy. His back including the callousy cushion is very dark with only a very small pointy spot which can only be seen while he's moving, in both videos ACP000c4gs and in ACP000buif.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

I think you have a match here. I can´t argue about the gait, but to me the faces are very similar; V-shaped nostrils, round head, triangular muzzle and deep-set eyes:

Posted

Great! Now let's see if we can find him a name...

Posted

hmmm...Maureen, I'm having second thoughts about RSMale09.

Before we go for a name could we pls. discuss the possibility of him beeing Talib? I have the impression they have a lot in common and this possibility has been discussed already in this thread but not finished. On some point you also thought about Talib beeing RSMale09 (before Talib got his name).

Talib, he's also a loner, massive, dark hair, round head straight browline round muzzle. All the traits of RSMale09....

Thanks!

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

@Boleyn, sorry I´m being a "kibitzer" here.

I think Talib looks certainly like Male09, but I can´t see male09´s distinctive gait in Talib 😕 . Nevertheless, every other trait seems to fit. Maybe the gait was temporary, as we only see it clearly in ACP000buie ACP000buif ACP000buig .

I see their faces very similar, dark, short and not very protruding brows, even their left ears are a bit pointed at the top in both cases (sorry, bad quality):

As a conclusion, the gait would be my only doubt for a match with Talib.

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Maybe RSmale09's gait looks special because it's very steep where he walks down in ACP000buif. We have seen other chimps and groups going down that slope and they all looked somehow different, e.g. Malkia's gait looks like a "cross-stitch gait" in this video ACP000bunf

Posted

Okay, we will hold off on naming RSMale09. I am also reluctant to confirm him as Talib without a firm consensus on it, though, so I will leave the temporary IDs RSMale09/RSMale09b in place for now. Thanks to all for your input!

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

I have been asked to name this guy. Should I hold until this is settled?

Posted

If you don't mind @zoogirl1, yes that would be nice.

However maybe you can help to decide whether RSMale09 actually IS Talib or if he's a new guy. If you'd find some more arguments pro or con that would be great! 😃

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

I think Talib & 09b are definitely the same, and likely 09, as well. As @NuriaM said, if you ignore the gait in the one hill sequence, everything else looks the same. The body shape, dark coloration, facial structure, small ears, and especially the distinctive angled part in the hair near the jaw.

Talib:

Talib

09b:

09b

Posted

• kristinhavercamp by kristinhavercamp scientist

I agree with @ksigler! I think Talib and RSMale09b are the same, but it's more difficult to tell if RSMale09 is also Talib (it could be). 09's face might be a bit more wide and his mouth appears to project out less than Talib's does, but I'm not sure if that's only due to the angle we see him at.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I am also convinced that RSMale09 is Talib. That makes already four votes in favor (@ksigler, @kristinhaverkamp, @Boleyn, me) and Maureen maybe still reluctant.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

with 4 votes in favor, it is a clear match. Thank you ladies!

Posted