Chimp & See Talk

Victor/RSMale11 & RSMale 12--Male with injured right arm

• hoothoot by hoothoot

The first time I stumbled upon him was in ACP000bj82, where he was holding his arm like it had a bandage (better seen in video)

the whole sequence is ACP000bj7z ACP000bj80 ACP000bj81 ACP000bj82 - October 9th 2012 17:33

enter image description here

Two minutes later, at 17:35, he can be seen again at the same spot in ACP000bjco and ACP000bjcr

I also think this is him a week later at again the same spot on October 16th at 14:22.
    As in the videos before, the face is grey, eyebrows are protruding, there is only a slight grey beard on the sides, the ears are close to the head with prominent sideburns/fur at the side of the face probably also covering parts of the ears.

ACP000bj9j ACP000bj9k ACP000bj9l ACP000bj9m

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to hoothoot's comment.

We had a discussion about the snare injury situation here:

https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000d/discussions/DCP0000w47

I see some facial coloring similarities but the snare clips are too dark and fuzzy for me to see details. If it is the same chimp, I don't see any evidence of injury to the right arm on 10-16-2012 at 14:28 when he climbs the tree in ACP000bj9a so:

1. not the same chimp or

2. he successfuly removed the snare and the arm healed in a few days, which would be a positive thing. Not sure how likely that is.

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

Agree with @Snorticus. The details are difficult to see with the snare-injured chimp but I am tagging him as RSMale11. It would be surprising indeed if that were the same chimp one week later. Snare injuries often result in long-term damage and can take some time for recovery under the best of circumstances, especially with regard to using the injured limb for climbing and walking, etc. But we can definitely keep an eye out for him and hopefully get a better look at his face in a higher-quality video. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• hoothoot by hoothoot

So the injured chimp now is RSMale11 ? What about the other one ?

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator in response to hoothoot's comment.

That's correct, @hoothoot. I haven't given the other male an ID yet but he can be RSMale12. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• Dana23 by Dana23

https://static.zooniverse.org/www.chimpandsee.org/subjects/56b2083e8f7532000191bee0/previews/56b2083e8f7532000191bee0_6.jpg
    ACP000cn8y same chimp with injured right arm?

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

@Dana23 asked me to add the picture. Here we go:

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Dana23's comment.

Agree with you @Dana23 that this is the snare chimp. Both have an unusual gait in addition to the snared right hand that trails the rope. That means that the snare has been on RSMale11 chimp's arm since 9 October 2012 and it is now 19 December 2012. 😦

Posted

I also agree. @Dana23, you proposed this match with ACP000cn8y, so you are welcome to name him!

Posted

• Dana23 by Dana23

I do that for this specialy chimp especially like and would say: Hallo "Victor", welcome by chimp&see. Herzliche GrΓΌsse Dana23

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to Dana23's comment.

Victor is quite right for this chimp! @Dana23

Posted

Great name, @Dana23! Thank you!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

wonderful name for a victorious chimp! πŸ˜‰

Posted

The second chimp here ACP000bgrb might be Victor - at least I think there is a whitish rope around his wrist as we've seen before. And the chimp is pulling himself up more than the other one needs to.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

He's in ACP000cn3r ACP000cn3s ACP000cn3t ACP000cn3u as well.

Posted

Thanks @AnLand and @jwidness - I have tagged Victor in those videos too.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

@Mercury82 just found this cool series: ACP000bjxj ACP000bjxk ACP000bjxl ACP000bjxm

The last male chimp looks like Victor.

ACP000bjxk Robust chimp holding right arm bent like Victor

Posted

Tagged, thanks!

Posted

I am not 100% sure here, but to me it looks as if the last male in this nightchimps' video ACP000bnw5 is holding his right arm like Victor (raised and close to the body). So it might be him. Video found by @jwidness.

Posted

Oh yes, looks like Victor! The arm seems like a match. I suggest we tag him if there are no objections.

Posted

@Snorticus tagged as Victor.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to maureenmccarthy's comment.

I had it for classification and checked the discussion. Sorry if I jumped the gun on that.

Posted

No worries! Just noting it here so I don't lose track. πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I think Victor is in ACP000cn5c and ACP000cn5e. There's really not much to see, but it looks like a swollen right hand that's not being used. And we last saw Victor 10 minutes ago in this same spot in ACP000cn3u.

Preview barely worth posting, sorry

Posted