Chimp & See Talk

Hafidha--Crooked chimp thigh

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000be2f and ACP000be2h

I know I'm always "seeing" injuries, but I think this chimp's right thigh is not right. It has a bump at hip level and at knee level. Looks misaligned to me. It's also held somewhat stiff as the chimp walks awkwardly. I'd like to mark 'injury' but only if I'm not just seeing things...

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

Maybe a healed snare injury? Snare injuries often result in losing the limb below the injury, though not always. In any case, at least this individual appears to be able to put weight on the leg and walk pretty normally.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I still do not really see the potential injury, but while checking something, I think I found this chimp (female?) again: ACP000c8ux and ACP000c8uz (a juvenile is following in ACP000c8v0 and ACP000c8v1)

Almost straight brows, quite bulky, bigger nostrils, not very flat. A bit round face, a bit pinkish, long, dark fur, some midline baldness. Ears seems to be undamaged. I think, it's a female, but I am not sure. It's not a very lean chimp, but well fed. The juvenile is not seen in the video posted here by @Snorticus. It's definitely a beautiful chimp face!

Video here found by @Dana23

enter image description here

For comparison:

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

I agree that these are the same chimp. Both have the pale spot on the right brow, same straight brow, same muzzle shape, cone-shaped baldness pattern above mid-brow, similar body shape.

Perhaps it's just a fur anomaly rather than a structural anomaly but these two odd indents at her right hip and knee when the leg is extended to the back are what I am looking at and I see them present in both chimps. She has an odd walk up the hill in ACP000be2f which may be a structural issue with the leg or may be terrain related

ACP000be2f Cropped and indentations marked.

ACP000c8uz Compare to right leg here.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

OK, I see what you mean. For me her gait does not look very strange and I am thinking what kind of (potential) injury might have caused the two indentations, I cannot really imagine how that would work for a snare injury (or only when we are talking about two subsequent snarings).

The knee indentation looks more significant to me, but even there I am not really sure.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Agree that she seems to get around okay in these 2 clips. I have no idea what caused the right leg to look like this is but I wouldn't relate it to snares - a fall maybe, or just odd fur or bone growth - but whatever it is it's a visual feature that can be seen at two separate times & locations in addition to her other identifying characteristics.

Posted

I agree with this match! I also think it is fine to confirm her as a female because--even though we can't see her swelling--we get some clear clues to her sex. Beyond her general "female-looking" build and the youngster who follows behind kin ACP000c8v0 and ACP000c8v1, she has elongated nipples as well as a lack of testicles between her legs:

one

@AnLand has maxed out on Restless Star matches... @Snorticus, would you like to name her? 😃

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

In the video ACP000c8uz I think we can see a glimps of a swelling although it seems to be a small and very dark one. Better seen in the video.

Could the indents on her lower back be caused by the legs of a large infant? Maybe she still carries it around from time to time?

Btw, @Snorticus if you happen to read the previous post... 😉

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

Maybe it's like bed head, except on her leg. She slept in her nest funny!

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

Snorticus has requested that I find a name for this lovely lady. Since she seems to be so careful and cautious checking out the camera I think Hafidha would work. It is a Swahili name meaning thoughtful or mindful.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Maureen asked me to name this gal and I should have named her as asked to avoid confusion and stick with the scientist's protocol. (My apologies to vestigial also). Can we go with the pretty name of Hafidha for this gal and in the future I will be more mindful of the rules?

Posted

oh what a pretty, mindful name 😃

Posted

Great name, @vestigial! Thank you!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

This is not a matching proposal, just an observation. We discussed a bit her fur at the right leg and a possible injury. I have problem seeing in this more than just a bit of irregular fur, but I stumbled today about this video of a female (with others) ACP000ccjd where there might be a similar leg and fur irregularity (see the two horizontal stripes at 8 seconds?). I have no idea whether that is more caused by an injury or - just an irregularity, but I wanted to show it here. What do you think?

Posted

In addition to adding Hafidha to the known chimps, I have added the juvenile who follows in ACP000c8ux / ACP000c8uz / ACP000c8v0 / ACP000c8v1 to the prospective chimps as RSJuv05.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Is this her (and her juvenile)? ACP000bqoc tagged by @Corcaroli and @Snorticus

Her right nipple is especially prominent

Actually, could ACP000be9e be her too? tagged by @Snorticus

Posted

I agree that it's Hafidha in ACP000bqoc and ACP000be9e. I will tag her. I can only assume that it's RSJuv05 following behind again in ACP000bqoc, but can we tell based on features? I think they have a similar size and similarly slender-looking face. The ears are high and elfish in ACP000c8v1 and I don't see as much of that in ACP000bqoc. It would be good to confirm the match and give the little one a name but I want to make sure we can do it based on features and not only association. Thoughts?

Posted

ACP000bv1m looks like Hafidha to me too (sorry, bad previews 😕):

Posted

Agreed! I tagged her.

Posted

Maureen you asked about RSJuv05. Actually I'm not convinced that the proposed juvenile from ACP000bqoc is the same as RSJuv05. Although both follow Hafida they do look a bit different. The most disturbing point to me is, that the juv from ACP000bqoc has a bold part on the forehead while RSJuv05 seems to have nothing like this. The ears, at least the right one, are quite similar, but I think the face color is different too. RSJuv05 has a dark mask around the eyes while ACP000bqoc juvenile's face does not show so much contrast. It's muzzle also seems to be longer.

RSJuv05

The juvenile from the b/w video:

Posted

True! Although I find it difficult to compare the facial coloration and baldness patterns between the black-and-white and color videos since they appear so different in the two even in the same individuals sometimes.

Posted

ACP000bx3b looks like Hafidha to me

Posted

Thanks, tagged!

Posted