Chimp & See Talk

Male adult chimp--Zeke

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

This chimp in ACP000cbht / ACP000cbhu / ACP000cbhv looks like Zeke to me: flat face, little balding, beard, no gray back.

enter image description here

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Who would have thought that there are still untagged chimp videos at RS!
    oh yes, he looks very "Zekey" 😄

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to AnLand's comment.

Absolutely!! I have been trying to find Zeke´s small white spot on his rear, but nope...

But still, like @Boleyn says, he looks really Zekey 😃

Posted

• zoogirl1 by zoogirl1

He seems to have longer hair all over than Zeke. Also, Zeke tends to have his mouth open most of the time. so maybe not Zeke.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Looks like Zeke to me also. I think his hair looks fluffier than usual because it is piloerect.

Posted

hmmm...after revisting this and looking at some other videos of Zeke and Saor I actually think Orohena was right from the beginning assuming that this is Saor.

Have a look at Saor's face in a similar position (Zeke is right in front at the tree) and check out the video. Zeke has his mouth wide open ACP000cbhg

and the male from the videos above:

So I have to correct myself and stating that he looks really Saosy 😄

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Still voting for Zeke because the face has that pink cast that Saor's face doesn't have. Also Zeke has pronounced black patches in the hollow of his cheeks that I see in this chimp in ACP000cbht series posted above.

ACP000cbhg Saor in a similar location has no pink, no black patches in the cheeks as can be seen on Zeke in the foreground here.

ACP000cbht compare to facial coloring & pattern on this chimp

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

ACP000buzi Zeke with similar position of head as above with mouth closed. Pinkish face, dark patches in hollow of cheek.

Posted

• maureenmccarthy by maureenmccarthy scientist, moderator

I would also agree with Zeke...for me one of the give-aways is that Zeke has those little white tufts on the corners of his mouth, and they are visible here:

one

as well as in this confirmed Zeke video (ACP000cbhw):

one

Posted

haha, and I thought these tufts were just an effect of the piloerection. 😃 No problem with Zeke, I just wasn't sure anymore.

Posted

Great, I have tagged him as Zeke. Thanks all! 😃

Posted

This video ACP000ccf0 popped up for classification and this male is tagged as #Saor. I was immediately reminded on this discussion here and I'm having second thoughts now about that chimp. Is it really Saor or might he also be Zeke. I think I can see the above mentioned typical Zeke "whiskers". Here's a screenshot:

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

hmmm...but Saor has a gray beard as well 😕

#Saor from ACP000cc6j :

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Sorry, I didn't want to confuse you Nuria, it's just that I thought we need to be extra careful with those two, because Saor obviously has those tufts at the beard as well. Overall they look very similar. Is Zeke's pinkish face the only really different trait? Or how can we tell them apart when the light does not help to see the pink face?

Zeke

Saor

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to Boleyn's comment.

I agree with you that this Saor video ACP000ccf0 is worth checking.

Saor and Zeke are veeeery alike, you are right 😕

Zeke has a bald spot on his rear..

I sometimes have the feeling that Zeke´s head is like rounder than Saor´s, but this is very subtle and the angle plays an important role here.

the most convincing difference to me is the Zeke´s face pigmentation, as you say.

Posted

Thanks @NuriaM you're right with the roundness of the heads. What comes to mind is also, that Zeke mostly walks with his mouth quite a bit open and Saor only a little bit, more like pouting. Which of course once again makes me think that the initial chimp in this thread still could be Saor.

Sorry, I just can't let it go... 😕

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I think what distinguishes them most are the protruded and boxy brows of Saor in constrast to quite flat, rather rounded ones (the eyebrow as a whole is rounded, not each one) on Zeke and - from the rear view: Saor has a gray back while Zeke is dark. Although I am biased as this was my suggestion, I am pretty sure that ACP000cbht / ACP000cbhu / ACP000cbhv is Zeke and ACP000ccf0 is Saor (see brows and gray back / legs).

Posted

I see what you mean, @AnLand. In different light the brows really look different. Thanks for pointing this out. Ok, I'm convinced - it's Zeke! 😃

Posted

Thanks, all! I agree and will leave them tagged as is.

Posted