Chimp & See Talk

Big black chimp

• hoothoot by hoothoot

Found in ACP000b8i2

When going through the Chimp ID list, the description of CFMale03 reminded me of this individual here a lot with the mentioned big torso. However, this one does not have a grey back; from what I can see he is black all over. The face also appears to be black with a grey beard. The head is also large. From what can be seen, the left ear is either large as well or damaged. The forehead is balding in a triangular fashion. The brow ridges are straight and pronounced.

enter image description here

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

He looks too robust and dark for me for CFMale03.

I also think that CFMale03 has some problem with his right ear (although, I cannot find definite proof of it).

And - I cannot really say why, but the climbing down looks careful and a bit struggling. He might be Porter and missing his left hand. (It looks for me if he is climbing down in steps - so that the single hand can have a grasp. Sorry, cannot explain it better.)

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

This is a tough one! What do others think... do we have a new male, or is this our friend Porter?

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

Hey guys! Looking to finish up Cold Fire videos.... has anybody out there found a match to our friend in this thread? We didn't think it was CFMale03 , although @AnLand suggests Porter. Anybody else care to offer up an opinion?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

oh sorry, @northernlimitptv I think we have been just too busy with all the chimps at Restlessstar. So many chimps - so little time - or how was that saying again? 😄

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

Hi guys,

in my opinion, this chimp´s face is much darker than Nyack´s (male03) and I can´t see Nyack´s right damaged eye either...

as for Porter, I can´t see Porter´s baldness in this guy..@AnLand suggested that this guy may lack his left hand too (like Porter) due to his careful climbing down, but I think this is a hypothetical argument 😦

I wouldn´t claim a match here to Nyack or Porter, sorry!!

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator

I couldn't find a known chimp that matches him, but his rump, head shape, bald spot, and facial coloration remind me of the un-named male seen on the right in this clip: ACP000bbf5

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

@ksigler, your guy´s baldness looks very similar to ACP000b8i2 , their brows look slightly different to me:

ACP000bbf5 : black and curved brows
    one

ACP000b8i2 : if you see sec. 6 aprox., his brows are quite dark too, but look straighter...

Posted

• ksigler by ksigler moderator in response to NuriaM's comment.

Hmm, now that you mention it, I actually see it as the reverse (I just think maybe your clip IDs are mixed up). Straighter brows across the center with small angles on the ends in ACP000bbf5 and sharper arches in the center of the brows in ACP000b8i2. @hoothoot described this original clip (b8i2) as having a straighter brow (which it does appear to be from the front and while moving). Wondering if it's just an illusion depending on angle of the head and lighting. Are there other differences than the brow appearance?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to ksigler's comment.

oh, sorry you are right, I mixed them up...

ACP000bbf5 : sec. 6, dark + straight brows

ACP000b8i2 : back and curved brows

I guess these subtle brow differences are very likely due to the angle. I can see no more differences, face coloration looks very much alike, forehead baldness too...

Posted