Chimp & See Talk

Tiamo - Adult chimp, lower lip hanging down

• saskia.k by saskia.k

Saw this adult male (?) chimp at cold-fire with his lower lip hanging down. The fingers of his right hand seem to me a little inflexible. What do you think?
    Did you see him before?

ACP000b37i ACP000b37j ACP000b37k ACP000b37l

Hope the post is right here, it's my first try...

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

Thanks for your post, and welcome to C&S chimp matching! I'm moving it to the board for cold fire chimps. : )

Your video is part of a longer sequence from the morning of 8/24/2012:

6:24 ACP000b37i ACP000b37j ACP000b37k ACP000b37l

6:26 ACP000b3jo ACP000b3jr ACP000b3ju ACP000b3jw

6:27 ACP000b31j ACP000b31k ACP000b31l ACP000b31m

6:29 ACP000b3dk ACP000b3dm ACP000b3do ACP000b3dp

6:30 ACP000b3ah ACP000b3aj ACP000b3ak ACP000b3al

6:31 ACP000b3a6 ACP000b3a7 ACP000b3a8 ACP000b3a9

I agree he's an adult male, and he doesn't look like a match to our named cold fire males. What do you think about the shape of his face, his baldness pattern, and the color of his lower back? Does he look like any of the individuals in the prospective list?

Hope you're enjoying C&S, let us know if you have any questions!

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

Great find @saskia.k ! Let's give him a temporary name for now, CFMale07 , until we find another video sequence that matches! Do you recognize him in any other videos?

Posted

• saskia.k by saskia.k

I compared our chimp cfmale07 with the other chimps in the prospective list of cold fire, but I couldn't find a male match which has the same bald pattern at the forehead and the grayish lower back. After watching the complete sequence of cfmale07 the lower lip doesn't seem permanent, maybe just a relaxed moment in sequence ACP000b37i. Also I saw that both ears are undamaged. About the fingers on the right hand I am still not sure. Especially in sequence ACP000b3a9. Gonna keep my eyes open to find a match.

Posted

• Dana23 by Dana23

Hi all, i found this clip ACP000baa4 . Could be the same chimp. The right hand is injured. On the ground, bevor he climb, the right hand is bent oddly, not grasps the trunk, keeps it outside:
    enter image description here

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I'm sure these are Male07 again: ACP000b69g, ACP000b69h, ACP000b69i, ACP000b69j, ACP000b6e3. Variously tagged by @Henrik87 , @Dana23 , @Snorticus , @dpellerin , @ClaireG

He's got the same long narrow face, smooth looking complexion, saggy lip, dark hair, bald in the middle of the head, fairly straight brows, left ear a bit crinkled.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi @Dana23,

the face is harder to see from the distance, but the white lip is visible briefly in the video and the curled up hand is not used for walking in climbing. The curling is seen in the videos too and the hand is used for feeding more for support than anything else. Great observation!

The hand problem is also seen in the new videos posted by @jwidness. Maybe she could comment on your video too.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Could the science team please look into this discussion? Even if no agreement can be reached, maybe we could move the discussion a bit. I still think that @Dana23 has a promising proposal. Thanks!

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

Thanks Anja for the heads up and calling us back here πŸ˜ƒ

I feel good about the match @Dana23 proposed between ACP000b37i and ACP000baa4

similar faces

and heart-shaped rumps:

I also agree to @jwidness' match to ACP000b6e3 (you can see a good amount of dangle at the 0:04 second mark)

I think @jwidness' other suggestion is compelling, and it seems to be the same male in ACP000b6e3 and the " ACP000b69g series" in which case it must be a match - his lip is just a bit less dangly in the latter series which makes me hesitate just a teensy weency bit, but i think that's just a bit of doubt and if i had to wager i'd say match. πŸ˜ƒ

Let's see what @northernlimitptv thinks πŸ˜„ (she's way better at this than me!)

Posted

I think there's enough here to call it a match! The face comparison @MimiA highlighted above is really nice -- we can see the length and the overall thinness of the face, with a bit of a thin nasal arch (between the eyes), kind of hollowed out nostrils, similar baldness pattern (mentioned already above), and the straightish brows. Add to that the injured hand, and I think we can be pretty sure here!

As for the lip hanging, in my own experience, this tends to be a personality thing rather than a physical characteristic, so don't worry if we don't see it in all clips. Usually the lower lip hanging is a sign of relaxation, and some chimps certainly do it far more often than others. I used to know a guy who did it all the time (like our friend here), and it always made me wonder if he wasn't catching a bunch of insects in there! Doesn't the lip dry out? πŸ˜›

Anyway, @Dana23 , you were the first to match! What should we name CFMale07 ? (Also don't forget there's another name waiting for you over here too: https://talk.chimpandsee.org/#/boards/BCP000000r/discussions/DCP0000wo4 )

Posted

• Dana23 by Dana23

Very happy, thank you very much. I would like to call him "Tiamo" (for italien: I love you). What do you think? GrΓΌsse Dana23

Posted

Very cute! Tiamo it is!

Posted