Chimp & See Talk

Homare - Female with small infant

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

She seems to be a younger female and has a small infant carried dorsally, but held in the tree ventrally. She has rounded, a bit pointy brows, ears without damage, a bit of balding, and is rather slim. The infant has a small nick in the right ear, also some balding, and a prominent white spot on the top of its head.

ACP000bd77, ACP000bd78 (screenshots not well, especially not for the white spot and mom) October 26th, 2012

enter image description here

ACP000bcyx, ACP000bcyy, ACP000bcyz, ACP000bcz0 (also ACP000bd2j, ACP000bd2l, ACP000bd2n) August 2nd, 2012

I think, the scene a day earlier is the same family: ACP000bd2c, ACP000bd2d, ACP000bd2e, ACP000bd2f (but I cannot get a good picture of the infant) August 1st, 2012

Posted

This, on August 1st (morning) might be her too ACP000bcz9 and if true she might also be her in ACP000b277 (August 30th, 2012 - different camera). In both instances, I see similarities in the brows, head from, body build, ears, but cannot see the white head spot of the infant. The flat nose might be very similar here and the ears stick out.

All videos in both postings from the general collection and the spreadsheet. No my own finds.

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

Hey @AnLand , I could see why one might see a match here! How do others weigh in on this? Anybody out there have some good comparison shots or care to elaborate on @AnLand's description?

Posted

• hoothoot by hoothoot

I have no idea if a chimp's butt is a certain ID, but I went ahead nevertheless and compared a few behinds...

ACP000bcz9 (August 1st)

From the ACP000bcyx sequence (August 2nd, 7:18)

From the ACP000bd2j sequence (starting in ACP000bd2h, August 2nd, 7:16)

Sequence ACP000bd2c (August 1st) has a small visible swelling, which is much bigger in ACP000b277 (August 30th)

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to hoothoot's comment.

Great review! Yes, chimp butts can be compared too. That's always easier with special mark like a scar or a unique coloration, but even the normal butts (and back views) should at least agree over a certain time frame. With females, you have to take into account the cyclically changing sexual swelling, but I do not see any significant variation here and as she (if all the same!) has a small infant, she might not cycling at the moment.

It is only difficult if you only have a back view and cannot exclude that it is not another chimp that is already known (and where we have a face, but no back view). Here, we have both.

Thanks for your support! 😃

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

All the clips @AnLand proposes look like the same female & infant to me. The lighter triangular butt coloring that @hoothoot noted look alike on all these chimps. Female's slightly curved "unibrow" is there, as is the small bald spot above the center of the brow. Same body build. Nicely undamaged ears that stick out.

The infant's pink brow ridge is fairly thick and protruding in all the clips where it's seen. The ears are pale pink, nicely formed, and they stick out from the head. Nose is vienna-sausage shaped and sticks up.

http://www.amazon.com/Libbys-Vienna-Sausages-Chicken-Eighteen/dp/B00099XQ08

Little bald spot center of head above the brow as AnLand pointed out. Shaggy long hair in back of head and shaggy sideburns.

ACP000bd2c Compare the infant faces

ACP000bd78 and the infant face again (mouth is stuffed full of figs so bottom lip is sticking out)

ACP000bcyx Infant face in black & white with similar features

Posted

This might be the same family: ACP000banm - infant with a prominent white spot on the back of the head and females back view fits well into @hoothoot 's collection above. Not more to see.

Posted

Hi, are we still considering this match proposal (I do) or should I look in other directions? Thanks!

Posted

i think I'm happy to call this a match now. I'm not sure about the vienna sausage comparison @Snorticus , but I think all the characteristics you guys have thrown out are pretty good! I'd also like to add the unique nose-arch shape of the infant in combination with the pigmentation of the skin around the nose. Great job you guys! @AnLand , I believe it's your match! What shall we call her?

Posted

That's great - they are so sweet together!

Unfortunately, I think I am not allowed anymore to name. I named in the meantime Cosmos, the heavily injured baboon, and I think that counts too. Not sure about the protocol.

Posted

@AnLand , I just checked... you're fine to name this chimp as your 3rd chimp at CF! What shall we call her? 😃

Posted

Cool! Thanks a lot.

I would like to name her Homare.

Posted

Super! Updating soon.... 😃

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

ACP000b776 and ACP000banm should be Homare.

So should ACP000b7nk ACP000b7nm ACP000b7no -- with the brightness all the way up, you can see a bald spot on the infant's head.

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

I definitely agree with ACP000b776 and ACP000banm as Homare & infant.

The second sequence is likely, I am just having a bit trouble with the female swelling. The baldness above the swelling (like Homare) is there, but the swelling as such look bulkier to me. The prespective is very odd, though.

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator in response to jwidness's comment.

I agree that she is Homare + inf. I see CFinf07 spot too, and Homare´s brows too. As for the swellings, @AnLand, do you mean that in the last sequence ( ACP000b7nk ACP000b7nm ACP000b7no ) Homare´s swelling looks more swollen?

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

...and what do you think about these: ACP000az01 ? could they be Homare and CFinf07?

I see CFinf07´s bald spot and the female´s face looks quite like Homare´s: her pointy brows, undamaged (left) ear, some balding...what do you think?

from ACP000az01 :

Posted

• NuriaM by NuriaM scientist, moderator

so if no one disagrees, I´m accepting ACP000b7nk ACP000b7nm ACP000b7no and ACP000az01 to be Homare and CFinf07 😃

Posted