Chimp & See Talk

Dash - Missing finger on juvenile?

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Right hand appears to be missing a finger. Poor kid.

ACP000awoh Preview 0 - Compare to the left 4 fingers.

enter image description here

Posted

• northernlimitptv by northernlimitptv scientist, moderator

@Snorticus , good find! Are you sure they're missing and not just folded as (s)he climbs?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

@northernlimitptv I wondered about the same issue but 3 days before in ACP000ayeo I see the same shaped right hand - little finger mostly missing and the index finger looks like the tip above the first knuckle is missing. No good previews but it can be clearly seen if the clip is stopped at 0:06 (The juvenile moves so fast it's hard to see many other attributes without blur.).

Blurred view of the misshapen hand in Preview 6.

![enter image description here]
    (https://static.zooniverse.org/www.chimpandsee.org/subjects/56b1ea648f753200018fe358/previews/56b1ea648f753200018fe358_6.jpg)

Preview 7 View of the left hand, note the completely light index finger & the light upper area on the other fingers.

ACP000awoh Preview 0 - Compare to the similar light areas of the left hand and similar shape of the long narrow fingers.

Posted

• jwidness by jwidness moderator

I think Snorticus meant to link ACP000awod as the other video. Looks like the same hands to me too.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to jwidness's comment.

Thanks for noting that @jwidness - It seems we have another duplicate. I was in a hurry and actually trying to post a link to ACP000ayeo found by @Dana23 which is the same clip as ACP000awod - I fixed it, too bad I can't fix this unfortunate chimp's hand.

Posted

Nice catch! So it looks like we have a match since these clips are three days apart, no? Strange that we see the same individual doing the same movement in the very same location, must be another glitch in the Matrix 😉

What shall we call this young Juvenile @Snorticus ? They move so quickly it's hard to find additional characteristics to ID this guy/gal, but I think the uniqueness of the hand injury is enough here.

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Let's call this chimp Dash. I hope we get a better look at the rest of her/ him in other clips! This must be a favorite tree.

Posted

Dash it is! Cute name for this speedy chimp 😄

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Dash again at the favored tree with another blurred out face view. August 23, 2012 at 5:12

ACP000awno Preview 11

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

I'm not sure if ACP000ay6n is a duplicate but Dash at the usual tree is preceded by a female & infant climbing down the tree. (Has not been officially tagged as Dash)

ACP000ay6n Blurry female and infant

No good previews of Dash' right hand but can be seen in clip stop-motion at 0:14

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

The female in this new video is extremely fast, but if you pause the video at 1 sec. when she is already down, one can see quite some baldness and strong brows. She very much reminds me of CFFem02c - and the time line would fit here as her infant is small still in December 2012 (dorsally) and in August 2012 (i.e., here) ventrally carried. CFFem02c has probably also a juvenile that fit in size (CFJuv04) - I tried earlier to see CFJuv04's finger, but cannot get a good look.

Posted

Isn't the original Dash missing the last few digits of the index finger as well? This new clip appears to show an intact index finger. What do you guys think?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Dash is missing the tip of the right index finger - down to the first knuckle. The hand stopped at about 0:14 looks to me to be the same odd shape compared to Dash in preview 0 of ACP000awoh

Posted

Updated!

Posted