Chimp & See Talk

New site "Aged Violet" just started, please read it ;)

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all Chimp&See citizens,

The new site 15 - Aged Violet has started!

At first we will try to find good images of the chimps and we will assign temporary names to these prospective chimps (as AVFem01, AVFem02, AVJuv01...) Then, if we are absolutely sure that two of them are the same, we will do the match between two prospective chimps and we will choose a name for this identified/known chimp. Here the list of names have been used already

To try to get more people involved in chimp matching and give everyone involved a chance at naming a chimp, we are going to wait until the end of the site to name the infant chimpanzees!

So even if you aren't great at finding a match, participate in the discussion on chimp matching and you may be selected at the end to give a chimp a name as a BIG THANK YOU for your participation!

Let's have fun!!

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

Hi @PaulDG : It is my first "new site", so please can you give me further help? You wrote: "At first we will try to find good images of the chimps and we will assign temporary names to these prospective chimps"

How is that working? For example: I found a clip with two good faces (ACP000e0h8 ) and tagged it. Who now is making the face-shots and give the temporary IDs? Is it you/science-team? Or should we/I make in the "Science"-Chat the first Pics and description and you are moving it and give the ID? Can you please help me with the best workflow? Thanks! (It is really exciting to start with a new site, and to have the chance to learn to find and recognize the "members" by the scratch. It was/is quite difficult to fill in in a nearly done site ... Thanks a lot

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to luca-chimp's comment.

Hi Luca, the video you found is perfect to start!

Now you can open a new thread for both chimps, where you can post some good pictures that could help us to identify them, telling if you think they are females, males, juveniles... and a little description of each one. Little "unique" details help a lot, like a cut in one ear, or a scar.

You can start the new thread here, below, where it says "Begin a new discussion:"

Then, with your info, I will add these chimps to the prospective list with correlative names AVMale/Fem/Juv001 and AVMale/Fem/Juv002.

And after that, we will compare the chimps we find in the other videos with these ones, and if we find them again we will have a match and the person proposing the match will select a name.

Do you know how to post the preview pictures?

Thanks a lot Luca!

Posted

Here how to post video screencaps πŸ˜‰

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Hi all,

while I agree that sometimes the extra down- and uploaded cropped and enlarged screenshots of chimp faces help a lot, I think we should use them if really necessary not by default. It makes the burden for new volunteers to participate in the discussions and post their finding higher as they might think they need to do this. Most often, the 16 available screenshots are just fine - and we know that they are permanent. What do others think?

Posted

Hi AnLand, I am fine using the 16 available screenshots and if that is not enough, I normally talk about the "certain second" of the video.

So to my that is totally enough. So, new volunteers, make "new" screenshots is not needed.

But if someone wants to use them, it's also fine πŸ˜‰

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Hi Paula, great to have you back! πŸ˜ƒ

Usually I use special pics only when I need to look for a certain trait that can't be seen in the given 16 screenshots. Whenever possible I use those because that is much less work.

@luca-chimp when you want to point out something that can't be seen clearly in the given shots you can also ask the community to make a video freeze e.g. between seconds 8 and 9. We then know that we have to "play" with the play button in the video to find this exact place. If that's not enough and you really want to post a certain scene, then send me a p.m. and we'll figure it out together. German is fine as well πŸ˜‰

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

Oh sorry @PauDG as I made a "Paul" out of you … AVunclearPau πŸ˜‰

Thanks again @Boleyn …meanwhile it is not a technically based problems with the pics, my question was originally, how we/you want to deal with it: see here the discussion

But I now try to take the excamples out of the given screenshots and if I think it might be helpful to cut a special detail, I will post them additionaly. So it will be no harm, if they are somedays gone …

Posted

hahahaha, Paula, female πŸ˜‰

Posted