Chimp & See Talk

Baba, Baron (AVMale01,AVUnclear01)--Two chimp / male?

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

Okay 😃 First try

Clip is: ACP000e0h8

No1:
    Looks like male, dark face braun muzzle,.very straight eyebrows big ears, right ear protrude, somewhat "flappy" nose flat (like sunken), mouth like a lin, small lips

enter image description here

No 2a:
    Looks like male, arms muscular, dark face, muzzle slightly grey beardes, straight eyebrows, right ear has a "nick"/score, forehead-hairs are thin, bald spot, nose V-shaped, left ear has a fold

No2b:

Posted

• kristinhavercamp by kristinhavercamp scientist in response to luca-chimp's comment.

@luca-chimp - Nice start! I am wondering what characteristics you based "looks like male" on? Typically to determine a male vs. a female, we would need to have a view of the genitals. After watching this clip over and over, I am having a hard time myself trying to determine the sex of these two individuals. I think I can see a very slight glance of hanging testes on the first individual (on the right) but I am not sure about the second individual who stops to check out the camera. Can anyone else indeed see a glimpse of the testes on both individuals?

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

I think I do see testicles on the first one. I guess with the second one it's is more about attitude than any specific physical thing. They look about the same size so if the first one is male it's not beyound the bounds of reason that the second one is also male. I don't see swellings on either but that doesn't mean that second one isn't female. I wouldn't be surprised if the second one was female.

Posted

• kristinhavercamp by kristinhavercamp scientist in response to luca-chimp's comment.

However, I guess MiMiA does write here that we can sometimes assume sex via other characteristics.

Posted

Indeed, it is only a guess … from attitude, … I really cannot say why. It is strange … otherwise with gorilla, Im absolutely unable to see differences at all (not from sex, but from individuals) They look all the same to me
    So I said "looks like male" … maybe it would be better to say: sex unclear? (If the two are female I will give a round free beer 😉 )

Posted

@luca-chimp Yeah, I think you're right that it might be better to tag sex as "unclear" for the second individual, however, as soon as we are able to identify him or her in other videos, we will likely be able to figure it out because there is a great face shot in this clip! I think it is better to avoid tagging the sex of an individual unless we are given clear clues... unfortunately attitude does not usually give us enough information 😃

And beer... that sounds great! However unlikely 😉

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

Hi all!!

I agree with you. I think I see testicles in the first one, and the second one looks like a male, specially because in the last second the back is visible more or less sideways and there is not swelling visible.

But, as is not clear I am going to add the second one as "unclear" = AVUnclear01.

The first one will be AVMale01

Thank you all, nice first video 😉

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

well done @luca-chimp - and congrats to your first post in the "official list"! 😄

Posted

Thank you 😃 I hope it will get better with the time ... Most of the problems are with the description, but I learn awfull fine new words, like swelling or protrude, but-holes or testicles, light fur, comic-face or elfish-ears … it surely will help me in my every-day-conservations 😄

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

haha...maybe not exactly the best words for small-talk 😉 😛

Posted

• vestigial by vestigial

What do you mean, Boleyn? Who doesn't work but-holes or testicles into their chit-chat? 8-p

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

Not a great video and he(?) is moving fast, but that might be AVMale01 again. ACP000gkxm

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to AnLand's comment.

That's kind of interesting seeing him expertly strip those leaves off that plant and pop them in his mouth to start a wadge.

Posted

@AnLand yes, I too do think its AVmale01 his face is really special.
    @snorticus … it reminds me on old men chewing tobacco 😉

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator in response to Snorticus's comment.

Hey, I am not totally sure he is starting a wadge, he could just be eating leaves 😃

Posted

Hi all,

could be, but the image is really bad. I am going to add him in the part "Proposed matches" where we add the proposed matches of those without good images to add them as prospective chimps.

Thanks!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

@charly03 and @Trier_ found this video ACP000fog2 of an adult female carrying a dorsal infant, followed by a slim-built adult that I think is a male and might be AVUnclear01 - pronouced baldness, not perfectly dark face, slightly rounded brows, and body build are very similar. Also the left ear (seen in the last screenshot posted here), looks similar with a flattened and out-sticking upper part.

The prospective list also noted that @kristinhaverkamp thinks AVMale02 might be him too, so I looked into that as well. I agree with a good similarity, but also think that the brows look more narrow. But it's really shadowy, so I would not rule him out.

Posted

Hi AnLand,
    It is true that he doesn't have a very dark face, but Unclear01 has a dark face, isn't it? we said that in the list. Or did you mean that this one has a dark face?

Sorry 😕

And any match proposal for the female&inf? she looks quite old and skinny

Thanks a lot!

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

About AVUnclear01 and the here proposed match - I actually do not think that (his) face is particularly dark. The muzzle is rather pinkish and the rest darker, but spotted. It is not so pink/light like the face of AVMale01 (also discussed in this thread), but dark would not be my first choice of words. But that's just my opinion.

For the female - I do not get a good look, but her right ear might have some kind of damage. She travels fast, but it looks like some distortion or cut. But I do not have an idea about a match right now. I agree with older and slim.

Posted

I think that this chimp face is more brown that AVUnclear01's face

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

Thought now long about the "broader" face ..., but you actually wrote "brown". 😕 I am not sure as the light is difficult. But we do not need to make any decisions right now, I think. So, I would like to ask for a temp ID and maybe we can find out more later.

Posted

yes, brown instead of dark or black. I don't know, maybe we are not understanding each other... I think that this male from ACP000fog2 (from now AVMale08) has a brown face and to me AVUnclear01 has a dark (black) face.

But as you say we don't need to decide now. 😉

Posted