Chimp & See Talk

Crann-- AVJuv01 = AVJuv01b??

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator

@luca-chimp thinks that this chimp ACP000fw96 ACP000fw98 ACP000fw9a ACP000fw9c is AVJuv01. I agree.

What do you think??

Thanks a lot!

Posted

• luca-chimp by luca-chimp

Can this clips be added to AVJuv01?
    ACP000fw6x ACP000fw6y ACP000fw6z
    ACP000fw90

Posted

Hello Luca, all this videos are from AVJuv01. Great!

What still pending is close the match between ACP000fw96 and AVJuv01.

I am going to add the juv from ACP000fw96 as AVJuv01b until we close the match.

Thanks a lot!!

Posted

Any other opinions about AVJuv01 = AVJuv01b πŸ˜„

Thanks!

Posted

Hi PauDG, sorry, I think I do not understand your question: I cannot see a difference between the juvs in perhaps ACP000fw9c and ACP000fw96. Where is the point that they are two individs? (Possibly I didnt catch the question?)

Look here, these to pics are out of the above cited clips … I can not see a difference

enter image description here

Posted

• PauDG by PauDG scientist, moderator in response to luca-chimp's comment.

Hi Luca,

this 2 pictures are form the same individual AVJuv01b

My question is if we agree that these 2 individuals are actually the same:

In that case we will have a match!

Posted

Oh yes, now I got it πŸ˜ƒ
    For me they look very very identical … with one point against: in ACP000fw3x and ACP000fw3y the juv has a "wart" at the right eyebrow. This was from the beginning my problem. If its a permanent thing, they are not identical, but maybe its only a tick (is that the right word? or maybe a "pimple" ) or sth like that, than I would vote for a match. The "wart" films are three days before the others … maybe it WAS a tick and fell off??

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

You guys have looked at these way more than I have - is the round white "mole thingy" on the right side of the right brow of AVJuv01 something permanent? I don't see it on AVJuv01b but maybe it fell off or are these different chimps?

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to luca-chimp's comment.

You answered my question before I finished typing it πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

πŸ˜ƒ high-five

Posted

I think it is a piece of leaf or nut, because here has moved ( ACP000fw60)

one

Posted

Little mucky pup πŸ˜‰

Posted

hahaha,

Now that we know that this white thing was external, what do you thing about AVJuv01 = AVJuv01b?? πŸ˜‰

Thanks!

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator

Paula, I think this post got lost a little bit, maybe you should ask once more? πŸ˜‰

For me, I totally agree that this is one and the same chimp.

Posted

great! me too.

Let's wait until tomorrow, if someone more wants to tell something. If not, we will do the match πŸ˜‰

Thanks a lot Boleyn!

Posted

For me too ...a match πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

• puddock by puddock

I might have missed their addition but aren't these the same chimp too? Image ACP000fw5x Image ACP000fw5t (you can see the pimple from the side here - I think) Image ACP000fw5v (very clear shot of the white lump here) ...there's a whole series of videos of this little chimp that I collected a couple of days ago - from ACP000fw3x - ACP000fw5x . I think they're all the same chap. Apologies if I've missed their inclusion already - I got a bit excited when I saw him here and probably didn't check hard enough - not very scientific! πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Don't you worry @puddock! It's your sequence in the "recent" that brought this thread back to our attention.

If you have time and feel like it it would be certainly very helpful and much appreciated by @PauDG if you could list all the videos you found about this juvenile in one post in the right order (if possible).

Posted

Hi all!

Yes @puddock it is him! great great

So, we do the match between AVJuv01 and AVJuv01b and we include these new videos that puddock brought.

Many people have helped to this match, THANKS A LOT!!!

What do you think Luca and Boley, can we ask @puddock to select a name, would you agree?

Thanks a lot!

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Just about to head out for a couple of hours - will list all my videos when I get back!

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Ok - in order, here are the videos I've collected...I may have missed collecting some of the intermediary ones ... Image ACP000fw3x Image ACP000fw3y Image ACP000fw33 Image ACP000fw35 Image ACP000fw36 Image ACP000fw38 Image ACP000fw39 Image ACP000fw30 Image ACP000fw4a Image ACP000fw4b Image ACP000fw4c Image ACP000fw4d Image ACP000fw4e Image ACP000fw4f Image ACP000fw4g Image ACP000fw4h Image ACP000fw4i Image ACP000fw4j Image ACP000fw4bl Image ACP000fw4p Image ACP000fw4q Image ACP000fw4r Image ACP000fw4s Image ACP000fw4x Image ACP000fw4z Image ACP000fw43 Image ACP000fw45 Image ACP000fw47 Image ACP000fw49 Image ACP000fw40 Image ACP000fw5h Image ACP000fw5j Image ACP000fw5k Image ACP000fw5p Image ACP000fw5q Image ACP000fw5r Image ACP000fw5t Image ACP000fw5v Image ACP000fw5x

That's all I have but, as I say, I may have failed to collect a few of the intermediary ones...phew!

Posted

Absolutely paula, I think, puddock will find a nice name πŸ˜ƒ (maybe gaelic? hihi)

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Luca-chimp - what a good idea! I will give it a think πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

oh yes, I think that @puddock absolutely deserves to name this chimp! great job on the videos!!

Posted

perfect! thanks all

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Do we know if it's male or female?

Posted

male

Posted

Here the link to the list, there you can see the sex and age classification πŸ˜‰

Posted

• puddock by puddock in response to PauDG's comment.

Brilliant! Thank you. Do you want me to name him? If so, I'll choose one tomorrow πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

yes, we want you to select a name πŸ˜ƒ

Please check here the Unique Chimp IDs. We shouldn't use a name that has been already used .

Thanks a lot!

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Inspired by luca-chimp, I'd like to suggest Crann as a name for our boy chimp. It's the Gaelic word for tree and, as he seems to love using that branch for cracking open the nuts, it seems to fit him.

Posted

I like this name πŸ˜ƒ Crann (how does it sound? Cran ...Crane? Krrrrannn?)

Posted

• puddock by puddock

Cran - like bran but with a k sound! Here in Scotland our early ancestors made wooden huts on stilts out in the middle of lochs (lakes!) that were called crannogs, based on crann meaning tree or wood πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

I love names with a meaning - very good choice!

Posted

Great name @puddock, thanks a lot!
    I am going to add it to the list

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus

Just ran across the Crann videos again. I think this is the rest of a set:

ACP000fw7v ACP000fw7x ACP000fw7z precede ACP000fw80 which is in the spreadsheet as 45 sec.clip of Crann

Looks like he has a dark spot, mole, or debris? at the base of his left "ring finger" in the clips from 12-21-2014
    Easier to see in full screen video.

ACP000fw7z

ACP000fw9a

Posted

ah right, well seen!!
    I am going to add it to his description πŸ˜‰

Thanks!

Posted

• Snorticus by Snorticus in response to PauDG's comment.

Crann is untagged in the three videos was the main thing I meant to point out - I was unclear, sorry!

ACP000fw7v ACP000fw7x ACP000fw7z

precede ACP000fw80 which is in the spreadsheet as 45 sec.clip of Crann and is tagged.

Posted

Ah, thanks!
    they are tagged now. πŸ˜‰

Posted

• AnLand by AnLand moderator

I have a question - it's just a question! The videos of Crann are from long scenes of two days when he is nutcracking. I looked into some juveniles and thought whether we can actually distinguish Crann from other juveniles, e.g., Jojo. And while thinking that I recognized that Makena is on both days in the videos with her infant just minutes before. So, can we distinguish Crann from Jojo? The trait for Crann is on his ring finger - something we probably cannot see in travel scenes. Jojo's main trait is Makena who is minutes before in Crann's scenes. Both juveniles are male and body size fits.

I am not saying that they are the same, but I also cannot see a defining trait for each of them. What do you think?

This is Jojo's description from the known chimps list: "Juvenile seen always with Makena, could be "Makena's older offspring". Eyebrows a little bent, almost straight with a small irregularity in the right one. Both ears look normal and intact, muzzle oval brighter than the mask, probably a darker spot underneath the right nostril. There's maybe a little baldness or less hair on the crest. Walks around with a slightly opened mouth."

(The corresponding times of the long sequences are best seen in the spreadsheet.)

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

I just popped in, so I am not too familiar with this site, but I agree with @AnLand: Jojo and Crann look the same to me! Paula (and others) - what do you think?

Posted

good point AnLand! I agree they can be the same chimp

actually, in the chimp list we have these two still pictures, the first from Crann and the second from Jojo, that should belong to the same sequence.

Crann
    one

Jojo
    one

Let's see if we find a video of Jojo sitting at the tree and becoming Crann πŸ˜‰

Posted

• MimiA by MimiA scientist, moderator

So will it be Jojo_Crann or Crann_Jojo? πŸ˜‰

Posted

HA! I never thought of this possibility but in hindsight I think it's quite odd that we haven't found any other vidos of Crann than in this long sequence nutcracking. I'm in on that match and would vote for Jojo-Crann πŸ˜„

Posted

Jojo-Crann is ok to me, although when it has happened before we have kept the order in which they were discovered, right?

Posted

• Boleyn by Boleyn moderator in response to PauDG's comment.

oops I wasn't aware of that. I just thought Jojo-Crann has the better sound to it. Your decision, Paula!

Posted

I have checked and didn't find anything about the order... I don't know why do I have that in my mind.

So, I think we can keep Jojo-Crann πŸ˜„

Posted

• puddock by puddock

As the namer of Crann I don't mind which way round it is πŸ˜ƒ

Posted

Great, thanks @puddock !

Posted